An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 9. Originally published by W Miller, London, 1808.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Was in King Edward's time the lordship of Toke, a freeman, (a Saxon thane,) who had many lordships in this county: after him Fedric possessed it, but at the survey it was one of the lordships of William Earl Warren, who had 2 carucates and an half of land, 18 borderers, 10 villains, 4 servi, and 4 acres of meadow, 2 carucates in demean, and 2 amongst the tenants, paunage for 100 swine, a mill, and 18 socmen with all their customary dues, with one carucate and 3 borderers, with 4 acres of meadow: also 3 carucates, two mills, a beast for burden, and 10 cows, &c. 30 sheep, and as many goats, and Scarning was a beruite, or lordship, depending on this. (fn. 1)
The town seems to take its name as lying on watery meadows, by a river, probably called in ancient days the Ger, or Yar; Ing signifying meadows, and Hale, not a hall, but a moist place, as Hales-Worth, and Alesham; I find it wrote Garsighnehael in a deed, sans date.
It was valued at the survey, together with its beruite Scerning, at 4l. and with that was 7 furlongs long, four broad, and paid 7d. ob. gelt, and Wimer held the whole.
William Earl Warren aforesaid, granted to Wimer, his dapifer, with the manors of Kempston, Dunham Magna, East Lexham, &c. insomuch that it was accounted and called the honour of Gressenhale, and he, by the name of Wimerus Dapifer, and Gilla his wife, gave to the monks of Castleacre, the churches of the aforesaid towns, with the tithes of his demeans therein; and Roger his son gave them lands in Snetesham and Congham: to this grant, Roland Lestrange, Walter his brother, Richard de St. Clere, Osmund, the Earl's steward, Humphrey de Dunham, &c. were witnesses; also a croft in Kempston, to which Fulcher de Gressenhale, Gilbert de St. Clere, and William de Salle were witnesses. (fn. 2)
William, son of Roger, assumed the name of Gressenhale, and left several sons by Æliva his wife; Roger, his eldest, succeeded him, and left William de Gressenhale, his son and heir.
This William had an only daughter, Isabel, who married first Beringer de Cressi, and afterwards William de Huntingfield; (fn. 3) and Osmond de Stutevill, her 3d husband, was lord of this town in her right. (fn. 4)
In the 17th of King John, he had a grant of the lands of William de Maundevil in this county, during pleasure, and was a younger son of Robert de Stutevill, by Erneburga, his wife, and grandson of Robert de Stutevile, who came into England with the Conqueror, and were both of them barons of this realm, had many lordships in Yorkshire, &c. and bore for their arms, barry of ten, argent and gules, over all a lion rampant, sable. (fn. 5)
Osmund died at Joppa in the Holy-land, and left by his wife 2 sons, Roger, and William the eldest, to whom this lordship was assigned; he confirmed the donations of his father, Osmund, and Isabel his mother, and of Wimer, Roger his son, and all his ancestors, to the aforesaid monks, in their advowsons, tithes, fisheries, mills, excepting to himself the advowson of the churches of St. Peter and St. Paul, of Wesenham-Thorp, before the justices at Westminster, in the Quindeens of St. Hillary, 41st of Henry III. Sir Henry de Bath, Mr. Simon de Wanton, Sir Robert de Shotindon, and Sir John de Cockfield, justices of the King's Bench, &c.
In the 13th of Henry III. he paid 40 marks for 23 knights fees, and in the 15th in consideration of two palfreys, and 20s. in silver obtained pardon for marrying Margaret, daughter and heir of Hugh de Say of Ricard's Castle in Herefordshire, relict of Robert Mortimer, without license; in the 17th of the said King was one of the barons of the marches, and delivered up Osmond his son as an hostage for his fidelity, in the 26th year, gave a fine of 15 marks to be exempted from going into Gascoigne, and in the 43d of the said King died seized of many lordships in right of Margaret his wife.
He was succeeded by Robert de Stutevill, his son and heir, who standing firm to King Henry III. in his war with the barons, was taken by Henry de Montfort and imprisoned, and obliged to sell his manor of Witheresfield in Suffolk, to Giles Argenton, one of their party, to redeem himself, which was restored to him (after the defeat of the barons) in the 59th year of King Henry.
It appears that William his father, had also married a 2nd wife, Ermetrude, widow of Stephen de Cressi, (who held lands in capite,) without the King's license, or that of Bertram de Bevill, the King's valet, to whom the marriage had been granted, &c.
Robert married Joan, daughter and heir of William Talbot of Gainesburgh, in Lincolnshire, and died seized of this town, held of the Earl Warren by 2 knights fees, in the first year of King Edward I. viz. a capital messuage, a water-mill, a wind-mill, 200 acres of pasture, a kar, &c. all valued at 19l. 3s. 4d. and was a great benefactor to the abbey of Wendling, leaving Margery his sister and heir, (fn. 6) married to Richard Foliot, son of Jordon Foliot, (son of Jordan, by Beatrix his wife, daughter and coheir of Hugh Bardolph.)
This Sir Richard dying in the 6th of Edward I. left a son and heir, Jordan.
In the 8th of Edward I. he was lord of this town, with its members, and Thomas de Rotheland being one of his villains, he was found to have a right of taxing him, high or low, at his will, and the custom of marchet; and in the 14th of that King, he claimed free warren, the assise of bread and beer of his tenants, frank pledge, by view of the king's bailiff, a weekly market on Monday, and a fair on the vigil, the day and day after St. Michael.
In the 17th of the said reign, Richard Foliot conveyed by fine, to Jordan and Margery his wife, the manors of Fenwick and Norton in Yorkshire, and they conveyed to Richard those of Grimston and Welham in Nottinghamshire, for life, with an annuity of 60l. 4s. 1d. ob. payable at St. Michael's and at Easter.
In the 27th of Edward I. Jordan covenants with Edmund Foliot to find the said Edmund provision and cloathing, viz. one robe at Christmas with 2 supertunicks, well lined, and a saddle, (sellam,) agreeable to that of Jordan, and to maintain one esquire, and 3 grooms of the said Edmund, in provision, amongst those of Jordan, together with the palfrey, and sumpter-horse of Edmund, as the palfrey and sumpter-horse of Jordan, together with the Esquire of Edmund, like as the Esquire of Jordan, for the life of Edmund.
In the said year, Jordan, then a knight, died seized of the manors of Fenwick and Norton, &c. in Yorkshire, and of this, doing suit and service to Castleacre court, every three weeks.
There was then a park in this lordship, and a wood called Old HallKer; William de Lynford held of it one messuage, and 40 acres of land, by the fourth part of a fee.
In the year after his death, Margery his widow was impleaded by the Earl Warren, to deliver to him Richard, her son and heir, by Jordan, who held this and other lordships of him, by homage, fealty, and the service of 9 knights fees and an half.
She pleads that she only kept him to nurse, being young; and in the 29th of the said King, Ralph de Monthermer Earl of Gloucester, and Joan his wife, impleaded her on the same account, which shows the hardships that attended families on these occasions, when she replied that she had delivered him into court, and the court committed him to Sir Roger Bilney, Knt. who redelivered him to his mother, during the pleasure of the court.
She held, for life, Grimston in Nottinghamshire, with Fenwick, Mosly, &c. in Yorkshire, and died in the 3d year of Edward III. and was buried before the great altar in the presbytery of Wendling abbey, on the north side, being styled advocate or patroness thereof.
Sir Richard Foliot, son of Sir Jordan, married Cecilia, she was sister and coheir with Alice, relict of Gilbert de Luda of Yorkshire, but her sirname does not appear; and dying without issue in the 4th of Edward III. his two sisters, Margery, married to Sir Hugh de Hastings, and Margaret to Sir John Camois, were his heirs. The Foliots bore, gules, a bend, argent.
In the 4th of Edward III. Sir John de Camois and Margaret his wife released to Sir Hugh Hastings and his wife, this lordship, with all their right, and that of Elsing with the chapel of Roughholm, and the advowson of Wendling abbey. Sir Hugh was son of Sir John de Hastings, Lord Abergavenny, by Isabel his 2d lady, daughter of Hugh le Despencer Earl of Winchester.
He built the church of Elsing, and was there buried in 1347, as was his lady in 1349; he bore or, a maunch, gules.
Sir Hugh Hastings, his son, was (as I take it) that Sir Hugh, who was summoned to parliament, as a baron, in the 16th of Edward III. and in his 20th year styled the king's cousin, constituted his lieutenant in Flanders, served in the wars both in France and Spain.
He married Anne, daughter of Sir Adam Everingham, and died on Kalkwell-Hill, in 1369, being buried in the Friars Church at Doncaster, in Yorkshire. In the Institution Books of Norwich, the Lady Margery, wife of Sir Hugh Hastings, presented to the church of Elsing in 1361.
Sir Hugh Hastings was his son and heir, who married Anne, daughter of Edward Lord Spencer, and died in Spain on his pilgrimage to Jerusalem in 1370, and his Lady afterwards married Lord Morley.
Sir Hugh Hastings, the fourth of that name, was his son and heir, and married a daughter of Sir William Blount; he died at Calais (on the marriage of King Richard II. to Isabell, daughter of the King of France) in 1395, without issue, and his brother Edward, aged 14, then the King's ward, succeeded him.
He was afterwards a knight, and styled himself Lord Hastings and Stutvill, and engaged with Reginald Lord Grey of Ruthyn, for the right of the lands, arms, and honours of the Hastings Earls of Pembroke, in a long suit, which is said to have so much reduced him (though possessed of great estates) that he died at London in the Fleet.
Dugdale says he was condemned in 970l. &c. costs on this suit, and imprisoned on that account 16 years, (fn. 7) but mentions not the time of his death; it was before the year 1441, in which year John Windham, Esq. presented to the church of Brisley, in right of Margery, late wife of Edward Lord Hastings, and it appears that in 1435, September 12, the said lord presented to that church. (fn. 8) He is said to have married Muriel, but rather Margery aforesaid, daughter of Sir John Denham, Knt. by whom he had Sir John Hastings, who, with his Lady Anne, daughter of John Lord Morley, were buried in the church of Elsing; their monument is dated 1471.
Sir Hugh was their son and heir, who presented to this church as lord and patron, in 1485, and by Anne, daughter of Sir William Gascoigne, had several children:
John, Sir George Hastings, and Sir Brian Hastings, and 6 daughters; the eldest married Sir Ralph Eure, Knt.; 2d, Elizabeth, Sir Ralph Salvion; 3d, Isabel, Sir John Hotham; 4th,—, married— Grisacre; 5th, Anne,—Wastlyn of Lincolnshire; and the 6th, Catherine, John Melton, Knt.
By the eschaet rolls it appears that Sir Hugh died in the 4th of Henry VII. and John was then found to be his son and heir, and being a knight, presented to the church of Gressenhal in 1492, and 1503, and died in the 20th of Henry VII. without issue, and was found to hold this lordship and that of Elsing, &c. of the dutchy of Lancaster.
George Hastings, Esq. his brother, was his heir, and presented to this church in 1504: he married Anne, daughter and heir of Alexander Brabezon; and by an inquisition taken October 8, in the 3d of Henry VIII. at East Derham, was found to die on the 11th of June last past, and Hugh, (brother and heir of John, son of Sir George,) was his son and heir.
John, the eldest son of Sir George, married Catherine, daughter and one of the heirs of Robert le Strange, Esq. and she presented to the church of Gressenhale in 1519, then widow of John Hastings, Esq. holding this lordship, as it seems in dower.
Hugh Hastings presented to the church of Brisley in 1537, and in 1540 to this church, then a Knt. and died before the 13th of November, 1556, when Catherine Hastings, widow of Sir Hugh, presented to the church of Stanfield, as appears from the institution books.
John Hastings, Esq. was son and heir of Sir Hugh, and dying without issue in the 35th of Henry VIII. left two sisters and coheirs; Anne, the eldest, married to William Browne, Esq. 2d son to Sir Anthony Brown, master of the horse to King Henry VIII. and Knight of the Garter, who had with her the lordships of Elsing and Wesenham; and Elizabeth married to Hamon le Strange, Esq. son and heir to Sir Nicholas of Hunstanton, who had this lordship, &c. assigned to him, and was found to die seized of it in the 22d of Elizabeth, October 7, Thomas being his son and heir.
In this honourable family (of which a particular account is given in Hunstanton) it remained, that truly courteous and hospitable baronet Sir Henry L'Estrange dying lord.
By a pleading in the 22d of Elizabeth, it appears that there were two Sokens, the North and South; and the custom was, that an heir or tenant to any copyhold land, in one alone of these paid, on admittance, 5s. fine only; if in both, then 10s. and if a copyholder did not sell all his land, then the fine to be 2s. per acre, and that they might fell their timber.
Was a part of the capital manor belonging to a branch of the family of de Gressenhale, descended from Wimerus Dapifer.
William, son of Roger de Gressenhale, held lands here in the 6th of Richard I. and in the 34th of Henry III. William de Stutevil conveyed by fine, 30 acres of land here to Adam, son of Peter de Gressenhale. (fn. 9) In 1277, Thomas de Hereford was lord of this manor.
Henry, son of Adam de Gressenhale, rector of the church of Frating in Essex, remitted to Warine de Hereford and his heirs, all his right in certain tenements in Gressenhale, Skerning, Wendling, and Bittering, with the homages, reliefs, wards, eschaets, rents and services of freemen and villains.
This grant was enrolled before the itinerant justices, Solomon de Roffa and his associates, at Chelmsford in Essex, in Michaelmas term, 14th of Edward I.
In the 3d of Henry IV. Alan Rouse and Joan his wife granted by fine to William Clerk the said lordship, who soon after conveyed it to John de Hoo, in the said reign.
John Ferrour of Gressinghale, senior, by his will, dated December 15, 1483, bequeaths his body to be buried in the churchyard of St. Mary of Gressinghale, and was father of John Ferrour of Wendling, who died before him; his will being dated May 2, in the aforesaid year, wherein he requires to be buried in the chapel of St. Thomas of Gressinghale, mentions Joan his mother, and Christian his wife, to whom he gives for life, this manor in Gressinghale, Seaming and Wendling, on condition she lives unmarried, after to John his son. (fn. 10)
He also wills that the villages of Stanfield, Brisley, Hornyngtoft, and Bilney, have amongst them 16 cows to support, and for ever exonerate by their profits, as far as they can, 60s. the lete fee of the North Soken, annually paid to the lord of the manor of Gressinghale, and his heirs, by his tenants in the aforesaid villages, or elswhere.
John Ferrours occurs lord in the 12th of Elizabeth; and in 1637, Robert Halcot, who in the said year paid a quitrent of 15s. per ann. for it, to the lord of Gressenhale.
John L'Estrange held his first court in May, 1682; William Tinker, Gent, his in October, 1701; William Prithero, Gent. in March, 1708, and William his son, rector of East Barsham, is the present lord.
St. Nicholas's Chapel
Was founded in a place called Rougholm in Gressinghale, by William de Stutevil, lord of the town, in the reign of Henry III. In his 34th year a fine was levied between William de Ling, chaplain of it, (as there was a little before between Adam de Skyppedam, a former chaplain) and William de Stutevill aforesaid, who granted the rent of four marks per ann. and 7 acres of land here, in Skerning and Bradenham, to the chaplain and his successours, in free alms, to sustain a chaplain therein to pray for his soul, his ancestors, and his heirs, to be presented by him and his heirs, the four marks to be received from his tenants; and if the chaplain should be unfit to celebrate, or the chapel vacant for 40 days, the diocesan was then to present another.
Thomas Brasingham was custos of this free chapel, in 1390.
In 1505, James Kesgale was capellane of the college of St. Nicholas the Bishop in Rowholm, and was buried in Gressenhale church; on its dissolution John Strange held it.
It was dissolved by King Edward VI. who granted it July 23, in his 4th year, to Sir Nicholas L'Strange, Knt. with all its messuages and lands here, in East Bradenham, Scarning, Fransham Magna, Dunham Magna, How, Brisley, Stanfyld, North Elmham, and Wendlyng; and the said Sir Nicholas had license to alienate the manor of Rowholm, with its appertenances, to William Warner and his heirs, in the first and 2d of Philip and Mary.
In the 10th of Elizabeth, Laurence le Strange, Esq. held it with 6 messuages, a water-mill, and a fold here and in Hoo, of the Queen, in capite; the site of it was by Gressinghale mill, and valued at 12l. and 5d. per ann.
It was a long narrow building, with a north and south transept, and a chancel, which, with the north transept, is in ruins, the rest still standing, and now an house, and a little way south of it, where the brethren lived, there stood a house, now an osier ground.
Here is an annual fair kept on St. Nicholas the Bishop's day, December 6.
Masters of the Chapel of St. Nicholas.
William Stather, clerk, was master of this chapel, and John Williamson, succeeded him, and was master ao. 10 Henry VII.
William Styllynton, master, 20 Henry VII.
The common seal of this house or college was the effigies of St. Nicholas, in his pontificals.
John Strange, the last incumbent, had a pension of 4l. 16s. per ann. paid him from the Crown, and was living in 1503.
The Church of Gressenhale is a large pile, built in a cathedral manner, with a north and south transept, and a tower in the middle, as you enter the chancel, which tower decaying, license was granted January 28, 1698, to take down the spire on the top of it.
This tower had been repaired in 1491, by John Ferour and Joan his wife; and on the battlements was this inscription;
Orate p. a'i'ab; Johan. Ferour, et Johane ux'is sue, ex quor. sumptibus reparatum fuit hoc campanile. anno mill'mo quadringent. nonagesimo primo, quor. a'i'ab; p'pitietur Deus, Amen.
The north transept is called Ferrour's chantry or chapel, and that on the south Hasting's chapel, both covered with lead, as the nave, the north and south isles with a south porch are, and the chancel; and in the tower are 5 bells.
The chancel is very neat, being beautified at the cost of the late rector, Mr. Hugh Hare, and is seated round, the communion table railed in, and has a covering of red silk, with a deep silver lace, and a rich piece of gold brocade, with a large cross of silk worked thereon, &c. being the gift of his wife.
In the wall of the chancel, by the table, is a brass plate, with a chevron between three estoils or escallops,
Johannes Estmond, generosus, natus in parochia de Chardstock, comitat. Dorsett. olim collegij novi apud Oxon. socius, juris civilis doctor, et unus advocatorum curiæ de arcubus London, nuper ecclesiæ de Saham Tony comitat. Norf. rector. In hoc vico mortuus 17 Octob. Ao. Dni. 1604, œtat. suœ 56, hic jacet sepultus - - Sarah Estmond, conjux mœstissima posuit:
Non pexit Estmondus tumulo sed dormit in isto, Scilicit in Domino mors pia, somnus erit.
On a brass plate on the south wall,
Sarah Estmond uxor. primo Thomæ Steward, generosi, deinde Johs. Estmond, legum doct. quos vivens hic sepultos curavit ex Thoma suscepit liberos supersites 4, filios Thoma' et Edmundu' filias Sarah, et Jana' ipsa vero e vivis excessit 14 die Octob. Ao. Dni. 1609, œtatis suæ 56.
Hoc autem Tho. Steward filius mœstiss. in pietatis et amoris sui estimonium fieri fecit.
Sarah mihi nomen quæ marmore testa sub isto Dormio, bis conjux, bis tamen orba viro. Ecce sequor te, chare Thoma, te chare Johannes. Tu mihi postremus, tu mihi primus amor. Jura, fides et nos junxerunt fædera lecti, Mutuus imprimis sed sociavit amor. Nunc quoq; mors jungit, quos junxit copula vitœ. In cælis tandem jungat et ipse Deus.
On a stone,
Exuviœ Susannœ Lestrange, 1679.
Here resteth the body of Robert Halcot of Gressenhall, yeman, he departed this life Novr. 2, 1740.
Hic jacet Anna pia (Samuelis Harsnet armig. filia,) uxor amantissima Rogeri Lestrange, generosi, quœ obt. 5 Nov. œtat. suœ 37, ao: 1677; with the arms of Lestrange impaling Harsnet.
Sir Nicholas Lestrange, baronet, son of Sir Nicholas Lestrange and Dame Mary his wife, born on the 2d of December, 1661, married to Anna, daughter of Sir Thomas Woodhouse and Dame Ann his wife on the 2d day of December, 1686, died at Gressenhall on the 18th day of December, 1724.
On a marble monument of white marble in the chancel, Lestrange mpaling Woodhouse;
Dame Ann, relict of Sir Nicholas L'estrange, baronet, only daughter of Sir Thomas Woodhouse of Kimberley, knight, and of Dame Ann, 2d daughter and coheiress of Sir William Airmine, of Osgodby in Lincolnshire, born the 2d of February 1688, dy'd at Gressenhall the 10th of Apr. 1727, and lyes interr'd by her loving husband; she was a lady of most extensive charity, whose memory will long outlast this monument.
On the chancel screens are painted the 4 doctors of the church, and St. Margaret, St. Leonard, and St. Anthony, &c.
In Hastings chantry on the pavement, lies a large marble stone, disrobed of its effigies, brass shields and ornaments; on a brass plate remaining,
Nobilitas gen'is quid p'dest, o'ia solvit, Mors que sub lapide ho. p'cerum duo corpora volvit; Morib; insigni comitu de sanguine natus, Pembrochie jacet hic John Hastyng pulv'e strat; Uxor et Anna sibi que sangui'e filia scitur De Morley, d'no moriens p. eum sepelitur. Quisquis et ista legas fusa prece siste, rogatus, Ut Deus amborum velit indulgere reatus. Ann. erat Christi poliando co'gru; isti Mill. quadringen; uno plus septuagenus.
In memory of Rachel, daughter of Richard Vesy, of Readwell in Suffolk, Esq; and wife of Edward Davy of this town, who died Sep. 7, 1725.
Edward Davy, late of Stanfield, Norfolk, and Jane his wife, he died October 7, 1715, she in April, 1708.
On the gallery at the west end of the church,
Robert Halcot, the owner of Harephares, gave this gallery, 1635.
The church is dedicated to the assumption of the Blessed Virgin, and was anciently valued at 18 marks.
The present valor of this rectory is 15l. 12s. 5d. ob.
William Earl Warren, before the year 1148, confirmed to the monks of Castleacre, the grant of Wimer Dapifer's tithe of his demean, his wood and mill here. The said monks had in this town, Welingham and Elsing, 2 parts of the tithes of the demean of Robert de Stutvill, and two parts of all the tithes of William de Katling, of Ralph Crow, of Henry, son of Isabel and Ralph de Hingresho, and of a tenement, late Peter Cupa's; and they had 2 portions of tithe, one of 24s. per ann. another of 12s.
The portion of Richard, rector of Dudlyngton, was 4 marks per ann.
Temporalities in 1428, of Castleacre, 2s. 8d.; of Wendling abbey, 4s. 1d.; of Petriston priory, 18d. per ann.
Katherine de Bec gave to Walsingham priory land by Gressinghale park-gate.
In the church were the guilds of St. Thomas the Martyr, of the Holy Trinity, Corpus Christi, and of the Holy Ghost; the lights of our Lady, of the Holy Sepulchre, and of St. Thomas's Tabernacle.
John Ferrour abovementioned was steward of this manor, and gave by will, in 1483, to this township, a messuage called Noppys, with 20 acres of land, to keep his anniversary, and to pay 20s. (as it is said) per ann. to the lord of Gressinghale to pay the lete.
On the gravestone of Sir John Hastings abovementioned, in the chapel of Hastings, there was, I find, these following verses which began the epitaph;
Hic stratus, si quo sit natus sanguine, quœris; A proavo genitam noscas cui nupserat heres Pembrochie Comitum Vallensis origine nata. Huic comites plures donec crudelia fata Extulerant pestem (Woodstock) te convoco testem Qui nece sub mœstâ cecidit dum frangitur hasta Hugo successit miles sibi qui sociavit Lordani Foliot natam, de qua generavit Hugonem sed huic Everingham nata potentis Nupsit, et Hugonis sit mater ad arma valentis Nata cui D'ni Spencer tedis generavit Edwardum, cui John Dinham natam sociavit. E quibus hoc tumuto stratus sit origo Johannes Cui requies detur cunctis viventibus annis Hugo, Roberte, quibus Edmundus frater habetur Poscatis precibus celis requiescere detur.
In 1344, John de Rothing occurs rector.
1348, Thomas de Horyngtoft presented by Sir John Camois.
1349, Richard de Olney. Ditto.
1361, Thomas Freshebek. Ditto.
1396, John Peterburgh, by the Duke of Lancaster, as guardian to the heir of Hugh de Hastings.
John Spalding alias Bovelyn, rector, buried in the chancel by the lavatory, in 1441.
Henry Bradfield, by John Windham, Esq. and the Lady Margery Hastings.
1443, Henry Hall. Ditto.
1446, John Avelyn. Ditto.
1485, Thomas Thorkin, by Sir Hugh Hastings.
1492, Robert Middleton, by Sir John Hastyns.
Robert Rawson, rector.
1503, Dominick Civy. Ditto.
1514, Henry Glover.
1519, Robert Elverede, by Catherine, relict of John Hastings, Esq. son and heir of Sir George.
1540, Robert Nicholls, by Sir Hugh Hastyngs.
1566, Gregory Goodage, by Ham. L'Strange.
1578, Ralph Agas. Ditto.
1583, Edward Chamberleyn, by the King, on the minority of Nicholas L'Strange.
1607, John Bretton, by Sir Ham. L'Strange.
1634, Daniel Green. Ditto.
1656, John Knight, by the Lady Ann L'Strange.
1699, William Waller, by Sir Nicholas L'Strange.
1704, John Frankling, by the King; succeeded by Charles Hugh Hare, in 1710, presented by Sir Nicholas L'Strange, Bart.
1744, Benjamin Crofts, by Sir Thomas L'Strange, Bart.