A History of the County of Bedford: Volume 1. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1904.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
23. THE COLLEGE OF NORTHILL
The parish church of Northill was made collegiate by the executors of Sir John Trailly and his son Reynold (fn. 1) in 1405 (fn. 2); the rectors of the church were from that time forward masters of the college. The endowment was intended to maintain four fellows besides the master, and two choristers (fn. 3); and this increase of the staff of clergy must have been a real benefit to the parish, which consisted of no less than seven hamlets at considerable distances from the parish church and also from one another. (fn. 4)
The royal commissioners sent to report on the condition of the chantries, colleges and hospitals in 1546 suggested that the college might well be turned into an almshouse, if that were the king's pleasure (fn. 5); and in 1548 reported that it was thought one priest alone would not be able to serve the cure. (fn. 6) It does not seem that any notice was taken of either of these suggestions.
In 1428 (fn. 7) the master of the College held two-thirds of a knight's fee in Tempsford, jointly with Robert Scot, of the barony of Eaton. The Valor Ecclesiasticus assigns to the college an income of £61 5s. clear (fn. 8); the Chantry Certificate states it at £56 3s. 7d., of which £22 10s. formed the stipend of the master. (fn. 9)