A History of the County of Berkshire: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1907.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
16. THE HOSPITAL OF CHILDREY
A chantry with almshouse annexed for three poor men was founded on the eve of the Reformation (1526) by William Fetyplace, in honour of the Blessed Trinity and St. Katherine. The founder assigned certain lands to Queen's College, Oxford, for its maintenance. They were to pay £8 yearly to a priest of good conversation to serve as chantry priest in the south transept of the parish church; the priest was to have a habitation adjoining that of the three poor men, and to pay them their dole. Each bedesman was to receive 9d. weekly and 9s. 4d. yearly for livery, with 2s. 8d. for wood and coals.
Notwithstanding the close connexion of the almshouses with the chantry, and the obligation that rested upon the three bedesmen of attending daily mass and praying for the founder and his friends, the Chantry Commissioners of 1548, finding that the lands were assigned to the provost and scholars of Queen's College, decided, after conference with the judges, that it was 'not within the compass of the statute.' (fn. 1)