A History of the County of Berkshire: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1907.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
18. THE HOSPITAL OF FYFIELD
A hospital or almshouse was founded at Fyfield in 1442, in conjunction with a chantry at the altar of St. John Baptist in the parish church, and pursuant to the will of Sir John Golafre, who is styled in the foundation ordinance servant to kings Henry V and Henry VI. The chaplain was to have charge of the almshouse, and to be called the Master of the House of St. John Baptist, Fyfield. The endowments were Fyfield Grove, and the manors of Baldwin's Court and Wyke, in Charlton. (fn. 1)
The Chantry Commissioners of 1 Edward VI reported that its value, including the almshouse to which about two-thirds of the income were assigned, was £20 15s. a year. The hospital was swept away, together with the actual chantry, into the royal coffers. (fn. 2) On the pension roll of 1554 appears the name of Thomas Clenson, 'Bedesman chantry of Fyfield,' who was in receipt of 40s. a year. (fn. 3)