A History of the County of Berkshire: Volume 3. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1923.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The Editors desire particularly to express their thanks to Mr. C. E. Keyser, M.A., F.S.A., for permission to make a selection from his valuable collection of photographs of Berkshire churches for reproduction in this volume and for reading the proofs of Aldermaston and the neighbourhood; to the Rev. J. E. Field, M.A., for his unfailing assistance with notes and information as to the parishes in the Hundreds of Moreton and Reading; to Lady Wantage for leave to examine the deeds relating to the manors owned by her, and to Col. Carter, her agent, for giving access to them; to Sir Gilbert A. Clayton East, Bart., for valuable notes regarding the parish of Hurley; and to the Rev. Canon Lovett-Cameron, M.A., for like assistance for the parish of Stratfield Mortimer.
They also wish to thank the following for reading the proofs of the accounts of the parishes of which they have special knowledge, and thus adding much to the accuracy of the work, viz.: Lord Desborough, Sir Edward A. Barry, Bart., Col. Sir Douglas Dawson, G.C.V.O., C.M.G., Sir Henry J. Vansittart-Neale, K.C.B., J.P., the Rev. Canon Dalton, K.C.V.O., C.M.G., M.A., F.S.A., Captain de Bathe, J. Herbert Benyon, the Rev. W. O. Clinton, M.A., Admiral Cochrane, Mr. C. A. Ferard, M.A., J.P., Major Darby Griffith, J.P., the Rev. G. H. Gwilliam, B.D., Mr. Jamieson B. Hurry, M.A., M.D., Captain G. A. Kempthorne, R.A.M.C., Mr. G. E. Miles, Mr. W. Morris, Mr. Robertson, the Rev. Herbert Salwey, M.A., Mr. W. J. Scott, M.B., Miss A. M. Sharp, Miss D. Vanderstegen, and Sir George Young, Bart., M.A., LL.D. The following have also helped with notes and information: Sir Lancelot AubreyFletcher, Bart., Sir James R. A. Clarke, C.B., Lady Mary Bevan, Col. F. G. Barker, the Rev. A. A. Bull, B.A., Mr. Llewellyn Bullock, the Rev. Edmund Broome, M.A., Mr. Bernard Collins, Mrs. Cordes, Mrs. Vaughan Davies, Mr. John A. Gibbs, Captain Godsal, Mr.O.E.D'Avigdor Goldsmid, D.L., Mr. G. Wood, Bursar of Pembroke College, Oxford, the Rev. A. J. P. Shepherd, M.A., the late Col. H. M. Skrine, Mr. Basil G. O. Smith, the Rev. F. H. Varley, M.A., Dr. Herbert Watney, M.A., M.D., F.R.C.P., the Town Clerk of Windsor and Miss Blanche Wroughton.
Thanks are also tendered to the Society of Antiquaries, Col. F. G. Barker, Mr. J. Herbert Benyon, the Editor and Proprietors of Country Life (for plans of Windsor Castle and photograph of Ockwells Manor), Sir W. H. St. John Hope, M.A., Litt.D., D.C.L. (for plans of Windsor Castle), Mr. Jamieson B. Hurry, M.A., M.D., and Mr. C. P. MacCarthy for the use of photographs and plans.
The Editors also desire to acknowledge the assistance of Miss Marjory Hollings, Miss Olive M. Moger, Miss Dorothy L. Powell and Miss Alice Raven for their supervision of much of the research work; and to Mr. Laurence Davies, Miss Jenny Wylie and others for the drawings for the line blocks.
References will be found to the Cherry MSS. or Cherry "Bercherienses Prosapiae," which form a collection of MSS. in three volumes arranged for publication in 1851 by the Rev. Henry Curtis Cherry, M.A., Rector of Burghfield, but never printed. The volumes are now in the possession of the proprietor of the Victoria History of the Counties of England.