A History of the County of Buckingham: Volume 1. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1905.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
26. HOSPITAL OF ST. JOHN BAPTIST, STONY STRATFORD
This hospital was built upon the bridge of Stony Stratford, and was intended for the poor. It was in existence in 1306, and probably some time before, as it seems to have been rebuilt in 1310. It contained a master and brethren, who received grants of indulgence for those who should contribute to the fabric of the hospital in 1306, (fn. 1) 1310, (fn. 2) and 1313. (fn. 3) It was still in existence in 1353, (fn. 4) but probably not much later, for already in 1329 the master and brethren were without the means of living unless others would come to their aid. (fn. 5)
27. HOSPITAL OF ST. JOHN BAPTIST, WENDOVER
An indulgence was granted to the hospital of St. John Baptist at Wendover, and to the brethren of the same, in 1311. (fn. 6) Nothing further is known of the history of the house.