A History of the County of Buckingham: Volume 1. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1905.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
31. THE HOSPITAL OF LUDGERSHALL
Three hides of land at Ludgershall, valued at 60s., were granted by Henry II. to the brethren of Santingfeld near Wissant before 1156, (fn. 1) but it is by no means certain that a hospital was actually built there. On other lands, near Luton in Bedfordshire, which were granted in the same charter, the hospital of Farley was founded shortly after, and it seems not unlikely that another was built at Ludgershall (fn. 2); but the only actual evidence of its existence is the fact that the master of Farley in 1296 is called master of Farley and of Ludgershall. (fn. 3) All other allusions to the lands given by Henry II. in this place describe them as the property of the brethren of Santingfeld. (fn. 4) At the suppression of the alien priories, the lands of Farley and Ludgershall were granted in 1448 to King's College, Cambridge. (fn. 5)