A History of the County of Buckingham: Volume 1. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1905.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
32. THE CLUNIAC PRIORY OF NEWTON LONGVILLE
The priory of Newton Longville was founded by Walter Giffard as a cell to St. Faith's at Longueville near Rouen. The lands in Buckinghamshire which formed its endowment were granted to the Norman priory about 1150, (fn. 1) and it seems probable that the English cell was built almost at once, as a grant of materials for the purpose was included in Walter Giffard's charter. (fn. 2) Very little is known of the history of this house; it was immediately subject to St. Faith's, and exempt from episcopal jurisdiction. In 1277 Edward I. sent the priory a gift of two tuns of wine. (fn. 3) In 1331 the prior received a licence to go to the general chapter at Cluny with his suite. (fn. 4) During the wars of the fourteenth century this priory probably suffered the same losses and inconveniences as other alien cells. It was finally granted to New College, Oxford, in 1441. (fn. 5)
The original endowment consisted of the manors of Great Horwood, Newton Longville, Whaddon and Akeley, with their churches; tithes of other lands, fishpools and woods, and free pasture for stock, as well as all the monks might need for building purposes. (fn. 6)
The temporalia of the priory in 1291 amounted to £14 9s. 5d. (fn. 7) In 1279 the priory held Akeley and its church in frank-almoin, Great Horwood and its church, and the church of Whaddon. (fn. 8) In 1302 he held the village of Akeley as one knight's fee, and lands in Great Horwood. (fn. 9) In 1316 he answered for Akeley, Newton Longville and Great Horwood (fn. 10); in 1346 for half a fee in Akeley. (fn. 11)
Priors of Newton Longville
William, (fn. 12) occurs 1236
Peter, (fn. 13) occurs 1262
John de Panneville, (fn. 14) occurs 1277
Richard, (fn. 15) occurs 1297
William de Talley, (fn. 16) occurs 1306