A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 10, Cheveley, Flendish, Staine and Staploe Hundreds (North-Eastern Cambridgeshire). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2002.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.
Horningsea was entitled by ancient custom, confirmed c. 1620, to 12s. a year in place of certain common rights in Fen Ditton town lands, but the rights were lost before 1837. (fn. 1)
The Poor's Land charity was established in 1708 with an endowment of c. 2 a. of land in Bottisham. (fn. 2) The rent, for the benefit of those not receiving relief, was worth £1 12s. by 1782 and £4 5s. in 1837. The poor also enjoyed a joint right to dig turf in the Poor's Fen in Bottisham, Stow cum Quy, and Horningsea. By a Scheme of 1878 Horningsea shared in the Poor's Fen charity, receiving a fourth of the income derived from 8 a. of land, to be spent on fuel and for other purposes. From 1913 it was managed by the Bottisham United Charities. Horningsea's share in 1965 amounted to less than £2, and in the late 20th century the money was spent on grocery vouchers for the poor. (fn. 3)
Horningsea, together with Fen Ditton, also shared in Quy Poor's charity. (fn. 4) In the late 20th century it had c. 70 a. divided between the central part of Horningsea parish, around Snout's corner, the north-eastern end of Fen Ditton parish, and the north-western portion of Stow parish. In 2000 the fenland landscape was maintained primarily for leisure pursuits, and was open to the general public.