A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 10, Cheveley, Flendish, Staine and Staploe Hundreds (North-Eastern Cambridgeshire). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2002.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
A few poor children from the parish attended Raye's school in Cheveley between 1767 and 1790 at the expense of Francis North, earl of Guilford and owner of the Kirtling estate. (fn. 1) Ashley had no school in 1818 (fn. 2) but by 1833 there were day and Sunday classes (fn. 3) and in 1847 the parochial school taught 41 children in the former chapel on the green while another 28 attended a dame school. (fn. 4)
A school board, formed in 1874, at first set up school in the chapel, where the inspectors in 1876 found 'utter squalor and neglect', but in 1879 built a brick and flint school with a master's house on a site in Mill Road given by the duke of Rutland. In the early 20th century the roll was over 100, and the school was enlarged in 1901 and 1910. Pupils over 14 years old transferred to other schools from 1945, those over 11 from 1960, and those over 9 from 1974. (fn. 5) Ashley was federated with neighbouring schools in 1978 and closed in 1980. (fn. 6)