A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 10, Cheveley, Flendish, Staine and Staploe Hundreds (North-Eastern Cambridgeshire). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2002.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.
In the late 17th century 1 a. and 1 r. in Newmarket field, and ½ r. in North field was set aside for the poor, and they enjoyed the right to dig turf from a piece of fen. (fn. 1) At inclosure in 1806 from the North field there were allotted 2 r. and 4 perches, and in the northern tip of the parish 33 a. in High fen were set aside for the benefit of the poor who were permitted to sell turf to other parishioners. (fn. 2) In 1963 High fen became part of Chippenham Fenland Nature reserve, and in 1996 investments from those charities yielded £21. (fn. 3)
In 1873 Joseph Tharp allotted £500 capital for coal for the poor of Chippenham and Snailwell. (fn. 4) In 1883 John Fyson gave £200 as capital for coal to be distributed amongst the poor of Snailwell each Christmas, and in 1993 the income was £65. (fn. 5) In 1898 his sister, Mary Ann Fyson, gave £100 capital for funds to be divided between the five oldest men and five oldest women in the parish on New Year's Day. (fn. 6) In 1937 it was paying 5 s. a year to each parishioner. In 1994 its income was £26. (fn. 7)