A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 10, Cheveley, Flendish, Staine and Staploe Hundreds (North-Eastern Cambridgeshire). Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2002.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Occasional classes taught by curates in the early 19th century (fn. 1) were superseded in 1847 by a National school built on the road between Saxon Street and Little Ditton (thenceforth School Road). (fn. 2) The building was enlarged in 1872 (fn. 3) and 1899. (fn. 4) The school taught pupils of secondary age until c. 1960, (fn. 5) then only juniors, and was part of the Cheveley Federation Scheme from 1978. (fn. 6) Dramatic changes in the age- and class-structure of Woodditton's population reduced the roll from a peak of c. 160 in the 1910s (fn. 7) and still c. 50 in 1961 (fn. 8) to single figures in the early 1980s, and the school closed in 1983. (fn. 9) A private nursery school for 30 children was opened at Valence House in Ditton Green in 1987 and served an area much wider than Woodditton alone. (fn. 10)