A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 9, Chesterton, Northstowe, and Papworth Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1989.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.
Land was reportedly bought by the parish for charitable purposes in 1649. (fn. 1) It was later supplemented by other gifts of land and in 1728 formed an endowment yielding £3 a year for the poor. (fn. 2) The income in 1783 evidently came from a close let for £3 3s. (fn. 3) By then land left under the will of Samuel Pont, proved 1780, produced a further £1 5s. a year. In the 1780s the income of both charities was laid out in cash, bread, or fuel. (fn. 4) At inclosure in 1806 an allotment of 3 1/2; a. was made for the two together, thenceforth known as the Poor's Land. In the 1830s it was let for c. £8, most of which was spent on coal. (fn. 5)
By will proved 1771 Grace Sindrey left £26 for the poor of Histon. The capital sum was for many years held by a succession of landowners, who paid £1 6s. a year to the churchwardens. (fn. 6) In 1860 the Poor's Land was producing £8 11s. and Sindrey's charity only 15s. 2d., both spent on fuel. (fn. 7) Coal was distributed to c. 60 people each year in the 1910s. The united charity produced c. £21 in 1974, of which £19 was distributed in lots of £1. (fn. 8)
An annual payment of 1/2; qr. of wheat and 1/2; qr. of barley to the poor, said to have been begun on the appropriation of St. Andrew's church in 1416, evidently continued until the early 18th century. (fn. 9)