BHO

Long Stanton: Charities for the poor

Page 237

A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 9, Chesterton, Northstowe, and Papworth Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1989.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

Charities for the poor

The two parishes jointly owned c. 14 a. in Over from before 1624. (fn. 1) At the inclosure of Over in 1840 the estate was reduced to 11 a. (fn. 2) By will proved 1659 Sir Thomas Hatton left £100 to buy land for the benefit of the poor. (fn. 3) The money was long held by his descendants, who in the early 19th century paid £5 a year. In the 1830s the income from the two charities, £26 a year, was distributed in coal to the poor of both parishes by the overseers of All Saints, who were said to favour their own parish. (fn. 4) Hatton's charity was later invested and the two were formally united in 1898. (fn. 5) The charity still owned the land in Over in 1976, when the income from rent and stock was given to old people at Christmas. (fn. 6) A charitable benefaction of £20 a year mentioned in 1807 (fn. 7) was not recorded later.

Footnotes

  • 1. 31st Rep. Com. Char. 122.
  • 2. C.R.O., Q/RDc 55, p. 245.
  • 3. P.R.O., PROB 11/289, ff. 294, 296.
  • 4. 31st Rep. Com. Char. 122.
  • 5. Char. Com. file.
  • 6. Camb. Evening News, 22 June 1976.
  • 7. C.U.L., E.D.R., C 1/4.