A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 9, Chesterton, Northstowe, and Papworth Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1989.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Charities for the poor
By will proved 1730 Elizabeth Kirby left £300 to provide payments of 20s. a year to each of 10 poor widows and for educational purposes. (fn. 1) A reduced capital sum was used in 1765 to buy 8 a. of land, (fn. 2) in the late 18th century worth £11 a year, of which £8 was spent on the school. (fn. 3) The total income fell from £26 c. 1830, (fn. 4) when 20-24 people received doles of 10s. or less, (fn. 5) to £17 in the 1890s. (fn. 6) A separate educational charity was set up in 1907 (fn. 7) and the land was sold in 1944. (fn. 8) By the 1960s the charity had been merged with several smaller ones.
When appropriating Over rectory to Trinity College, Cambridge, Henry VIII ordered that an annual payment of 13s. 4d. be made to the parish poor. (fn. 9) In the 19th century the sum was paid by the rectory lessee. (fn. 10) Sackville Wade (d. 1677) left an annual rent charge of £5 for bread; in the 19th century bread to the value of £5 4s. was distributed from his charity. (fn. 11) By will proved 1692 Joseph Peck left an annual rent charge of 6s. 8d. (fn. 12) Alice Walpole in 1709 left a rent charge of 10s. for bread, together with a larger sum for educational purposes, (fn. 13) which was separated in 1907. (fn. 14) Kirby's and the smaller charities were all administered by the vicar and churchwardens; in 1885 the total income, including the educational part, was £40. (fn. 15) In 1968 the combined eleemosynary charity produced £34. (fn. 16)
There were 10 parish almshouses in 1807 (fn. 17) and in 1851 two cottages in addition to the five in existence were being built with funds provided by the town lands. (fn. 18) Under a Scheme of 1970 the town branch of the town lands charity was to go to the poor; in 1977 charitable gifts amounted to £225. (fn. 19)
By will proved 1738 Mary Pearson left an estate in Over and elsewhere for various purposes, the residue to be divided between the poor of Over and Hilton (Hunts.). (fn. 20) A small sum was paid out in 1783 (fn. 21) but there is no later record of payment.