A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 9, Chesterton, Northstowe, and Papworth Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1989.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The Fen Stanton Baptist congregation in the 1650s had five members from Papworth Everard and occasionally met there. (fn. 1) Four dissenters were reported in 1676 (fn. 2) and two 'Presbyterian' families in 1728; (fn. 3) no meeting house was established before 1900, although a handful of dissenters lived in the village after 1870. (fn. 4)
In 1926 a Wesleyan Methodist chapel, called St. Luke's, was built in grey brick on a site provided by the Settlement at the west end of Church Lane. Opened in 1927, it was at first served from St. Ives (Hunts.). A manse was built in 1939 (fn. 5) and the chapel still had its own minister in 1982. (fn. 6) In 1931 a wooden Roman Catholic chapel dedicated to St. Francis of Assisi, originally served from Cambridge but after 1950 from St. Ives, was built west of the main road. It was used as a church hall after a new redbrick church was built next to it in 1954. (fn. 7)