A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 9, Chesterton, Northstowe, and Papworth Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1989.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In 1299 Mary of Bassingbourn claimed to hold the view of frankpledge and the assize of bread and of ale in Westwick under the honor of Richmond. (fn. 1) In 1334 three customary tenants of Westwick answered for the vill at the honor of Richmond's court at Toft, where an aletaster was appointed for Westwick. (fn. 2)
In the 17th century the inhabitants paid poor rates to Cottenham, (fn. 3) but by the late 18th century levied and spent the rate themselves. Nine people out of a population of 33 were relieved in 1803, at a cost of almost £33, though by 1813 there were only two parish paupers, paid £5 a year between them. (fn. 4) Although the cost of relief later rose, it never again reached £1 a head of population under the old poor law. (fn. 5) Westwick was belatedly added to Chesterton poor-law union in 1840, (fn. 6) and later lay in Chesterton rural district (1894-1974) and South Cambridgeshire district (from 1974). (fn. 7)