A History of the County of Cumberland: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1905.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
No claim to exhaustiveness is made for the lists of abbots and priors of the religious houses. It is probable that as the contents of private muniments and the public records become more accessible, new names will be added. Since the article on the religious houses was completed, the name of John, abbot of Holmcultram, in 1406, was brought to light by the publication of the Calendar of Papal Letters (vi. 77): John, prior of St. Bees, was witness to a deed, dated 1330, at Cockermouth Castle, and Nicholas de Warthill was prior of the same place in 1387, as stated in a charter at the British Museum.
During the time of the preparation of this volume death has removed two esteemed colleagues—the Rev. H. A. Macpherson, a zoologist of distinction, and Mr. William Steel, a keen sportsman as well as an experienced writer.
The Editors wish to express their obligation to Mrs. Henry Ware for the loan of her valuable collection of casts of episcopal seals; to the Cumberland and Westmorland Archaeological Society for the use of blocks; to the Mayor and Corporation of Carlisle for liberty to photograph the initial letter of one of their royal charters; to the Director of the Public Library, Carlisle, for the loan of engravings for reproduction; to the Bishop and Chapter of Carlisle, the Earl of Lonsdale, and Lord Leconfield, for access to their muniments; to the Rev. Dr. Greenwell, Mr. W. Farrer, Sir E. T. Bewley, Dr. George Neilson, Mr. William Brown, and Dr. Haswell, for advice and assistance readily given.