A History of the County of Dorset: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1908.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
12. THE DOMINICAN FRIARS OF GILLINGHAM
On 8 December, 1267, Henry III granted twelve oaks in Gillingham Forest to the Friars Preachers to repair the fabric of their church at Gillingham. (fn. 1) This was probably a chapel connected with the royal palace. (fn. 2) No other reference to the house has yet been found.