A History of the County of Durham: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1907.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
15. THE AUSTIN FRIARS OF BARNARD CASTLE
It is thought that there was at one time a house of Friars Hermits of St. Austin at Barnard Castle. The provincial of that order obtained leave of Archbishop Neville in 1381, the see of Durham being vacant, to build a friary and chapel upon ground given by Thomas Beauchamp, earl of Warwick, in his lordship of Barnard Castle, (fn. 1) but it is not known whether this took effect. (fn. 2) There was, however, until lately an old building on the east side of Thorngate which had the appearance of a religious house, and which was not otherwise accounted for, and this may possibly have been the friary. Round a bow window was cut in the square character, 'Soli Deo honor et gloria,' the lettering corresponding with the above date. The back part of the building formed a square. (fn. 3)