A History of the County of Durham: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1907.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
20. THE HOSPITAL OF THE HOLY TRINITY, GATESHEAD
The origin of this hospital is unknown. It was in existence about the year 1200 (and possibly long before), as a foundation for the support of a chaplain and three poor brethren. To it, at about that period, Osmund son of Hamo gave four acres of land in 'Harlei,' close to Benchelm Wood. (fn. 1)
In 1226 Henry of Ferlington, constable of Durham, bestowed on the hospital his vill of Kyo in frankalmoign to provide a chaplain to celebrate and to maintain three poor men to pray for the soul of the donor; (fn. 2) and by an undated charter Baldwin-with-the-head gave to Gerard son of Geve, steward of the hospital, seventeen acres in the south part of his field called Alrisburne, reserving a rent of 8d. towards the repair of Tyne Bridge. (fn. 3)
The house seems to have been poor and unimportant, and in 1248 it had sunk so low that the inmates could afford to live neither a religious nor a secular life. Bishop Farnham in consequence of this united it with his new hospital of St. Edmund the Confessor. (fn. 4)