A History of the County of Durham: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1907.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
30. THE HOSPITAL OF WERHALE
In 1265 Sir Marmaduke, knt., son of Geoffrey, granted to Richard, then warden of the hospital of Werhale, and his successors an annual sum of 5 marks, on condition that he and his heirs should be released from a certain payment to the hospital of the corn from two bovates of land, which in time past had been made annually by his predecessors. At the date of an inspeximus of this grant made by Bishop Bury, 1 June, 1344, John de Lynce was warden of the hospital. (fn. 1)