A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10, Lexden Hundred (Part) Including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2001.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
A free school, supported by voluntary subscriptions, taught poor children between 1790 and 1796. A Sunday school estab- lished in 1804 educated 30 children in 1818, when it also met three nights a week. (fn. 1) During the next 25 years numbers rose to 105 in inadequate and unsuitable accommodation. In 1845 the guardians of Halstead Poor Law Union gave part of Sexton's field, west of the church, for a National school for 100 children, which opened the same year. (fn. 2) The school received yearly government grants from 1868. (fn. 3) The building was used for evening classes during the 1870s and 1880s. Grants from the National Society and the Diocesan Board helped to add an infants' classroom in 1893. In 1915 the managers bought more of Sexton's field to extend the school; further repairs and improvements were carried out in 1922. In 1938 senior children transferred to Halstead leaving Colne Engaine as a Church of England Primary school. The school was granted Aided status in 1954, and in 1970 moved into new and larger buildings in Green Farm Road which were extended in the early 1990s. In 1995 there were c. 100 children on the roll. (fn. 4)