A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10, Lexden Hundred (Part) Including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2001.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The recusant Edmund Church lived in the parish in 1590, and another man presented for failure to attend church in 1590, 1600, and 1605 may also have been a Roman Catholic. (fn. 1)
One of the two or more Quakers in the parish in 1664 accused church-goers of serving the devil. (fn. 2) Another man whose nine children were all baptized that year, and the nine adults or older children baptised between 1692 and 1703 may also have been Quakers. (fn. 3) The rector reported one Quaker in the parish in 1766. (fn. 4)
Nonconformist services were held in or near the parish in 1790, and in 1810 about 30 Independents held services in a private house. (fn. 5) The congregation meeting in a cottage in 1829 belonged to the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion and was led by the minister from Fordham. (fn. 6) The Strict Baptist minister living in the parish in 1891 (fn. 7) served the Mount Bures chapel.
The Peculiar People founded a mission in a converted cottage c. 1900. About 1920 a wartime hospital hut, apparently from Earls Colne, was erected in Inworth Road as a chapel. The church became Evangelical early in the 1950s and closed before 1979. (fn. 8)