A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10, Lexden Hundred (Part) Including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2001.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In 1833 three private schools taught 24 boys and 31 girls, and a small adult school met occasionally. A Sunday school, started in 1820 at the rector's expense, had 37 boys and 31 girls in 1833 and 20 boys and 24 girls in 1841. (fn. 1) The two schools recorded in 1863 may have continued as private elementary schools in 1871. (fn. 2)
A National school for 100 children was built in 1872 on land north-east of the church leased from the Allison and Butler charity. The rector built a teacher's house in 1890, and helped to add a classroom and cloakrooms to the school in 1892. The building was further improved in 1913 and 1931. (fn. 3) The school, with average attendances of c. 55-65 in the later 19th century, received government grants from 1880. (fn. 4) As the Wakes Colne Church of England Primary School, it was granted aided status in 1952; it closed in 1963. (fn. 5)