White Colne: Charities for the poor

Page 139

A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10, Lexden Hundred (Part) Including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2001.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.



Before 1778 a 2-a. field in the north-west corner of the parish, later called Town field, was given to the poor, perhaps by a member of the Gurliphant or Gurlivance family who lived in the parish in the 16th century. In 1816 the annual income was £1 10s.; in 1836, £3 which was carried to the poor rate. (fn. 1) No further record of the charity has been found.


  • 1. Lamb. Pal. Libr., Lowth papers 4; E.R.O., Q/RSr 1; 32nd. Rep. Com. Char. H.C. 108, p. 643 (1837-8), xxv; cf. E.R.O., D/ACR 1, f. 166; D/ACR 2, ff. 159v.-160; D/ACR 3, f. 14v.; ibid. D/CT 104.