A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10, Lexden Hundred (Part) Including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2001.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.
Edmund Mountjoy, by will dated 1623,left £20 to the poor of Copford to be invested at the discretion of his brother Alan (Allen). By indenture of 1624 Alan gave two cottages for the poor. The charity was apparently in abeyance during the later 17th century, and the cottages reverted to the Mountjoy family until, by an indenture of 1694, they were conveyed in trust to the rector. The cottages were rebuilt in 1862 partly at the rector's expense. In 1875 they were sold to T. H. Harrison of Copford Hall for £400. After outstanding debts had been paid, the balance of c. £200 was invested and a Scheme directed that the income be used to provide fuel, food, medical care, and, in special cases, cash payments to the needy. The charity was registered in 1965 as the Allen Mountjoy Charity. In 1993 the interest from the investment was £4. (fn. 1)
By deed poll of 1868, Mary Kelly gave £212 to the rector and churchwardens. After paying for the repair of tablets in the church and a tombstone, a moiety of the residue was to be used for coals or blankets for the poor and a moiety for parochial schools. The income in 1993 was £5. (fn. 2)