BHO

Fordham: Charities for the poor

Page 218

A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10, Lexden Hundred (Part) Including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2001.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.

The parish shared in Thomas Love's charity. (fn. 1) In 1994 the income was £135. (fn. 2)

By will proved 1793, William Ellis gave to the poor 40s. from the yearly interest on his £1,000 bequest to the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion chapel. Regular attenders from any parish were eligible. (fn. 3) A Charity Commission scheme of 1994 combined the charity with three smaller charities as the Fordham Combined Charities, the income of which was mainly used for the upkeep of the former chapel graveyard. (fn. 4)

Footnotes

  • 1. Above, Little Horkesley, Charities.
  • 2. Char. Com. file.
  • 3. 32nd Rep. Com. Char. pp. 645-7; E.R.O., D/ABR 28, f. 357.
  • 4. P. Lewis, This Barren Land, 53.