A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10, Lexden Hundred (Part) Including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2001.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In 1665 there was at least one Quaker in Aldham, and in 1683 he and five other men did not attend church. (fn. 1) In 1694 the Copford monthly meeting was occasionally held at Joseph Sewell's house, Hoe Farm, which was licensed in 1705. The Sewells and two other men remained Quakers in 1766. (fn. 2) In 1810 there were a few poor 'separatists' but no meeting house. (fn. 3)
By 1868 a house in Fordstreet was used as a mission room by the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion chapel at Fordham. It was bought for the mission in 1904, but was demolished c. 1930; its congregation moved to the Fordham chapel. (fn. 4)