A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10, Lexden Hundred (Part) Including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2001.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In 1839 dame schools educated 20-30 children, and two nonconformist schools, which may have lasted less than a year, a further ten.abcde (fn. 1)A British school recorded in 1846 seems to have closed by 1848.abcde (fn. 2)
The schoolhouse in a field near Great Horkesley church in 1816 was probably the church school recorded in 1818.abcde (fn. 3)In 1833 it was funded by subscriptions and children's pence, and had average attendances of 65 boys and 59 girls on Sundays and 52 boys and 54 girls on weekdays.abcde (fn. 4)By 1839 the school was in union with the National Society and had accommodation for 95 children and an average attendance of 65.abcde (fn. 5)The two roomed schoolhouse that adjoined the churchyard in 1840 was presumably the same building as the one recorded in 1816.abcde (fn. 6)A new school was built in 1848 and an infant school was added about that date. In 1871 there was accommodation for 90 children and an average attendance of 80. In that year the school was repaired and a new classroom added, bringing the accommodation up to 141; the average attendance was 90.abcde (fn. 7)
In 1873, despite lack of support from the parishioners, the rector built a new redbrick school on School Lane in late 15th century style, imitating the chapel on Horkesley Causeway.abcde (fn. 8)It accommodated 140 children and received regular government grants from 1875.abcde (fn. 9)In 1946 it was reorganised for juniors and infants, the seniors being transferred to Colchester.abcde (fn. 10)A site was acquired for a new secondary school opposite the primary school but plans to build were abandoned because of the Second World War. In 1975-6 the site was sold to help meet the cost of a new primary school in Coach Road, Bishop William Ward Church of England (Aided) Primary School, to which the children were transferred. The school was enlarged in 1980 and again in 1994 when an infants' room was added.abcde (fn. 11)