A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10, Lexden Hundred (Part) Including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2001.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CHARITIES FOR THE POOR
The parish shared in Love's Charity. (fn. 1) The income in 1992 was £69. (fn. 2) By will dated 1577, Robert Franckham gave an annual rent charge of 10s. from a house and lands called Nicholls. The charity continued until 1708 and probably to 1815; by 1836 the owner of the property had disputed the existence of the charge and the charity was not recorded after that date. (fn. 3)
Catherine Elvina Sims, by will proved 1919, left £100 to the rector and churchwardens to be invested for the benefit of the poor. (fn. 4) In 1963 interest of £12 5s. 9d. was paid into the parish's poor account, and £8 was disbursed in Christmas gifts to parishioners. (fn. 5)
John Horace Round, by will proved 1928, left £100 for the rector and churchwardens to invest for the poor so long as his tomb was kept in good repair. (fn. 6) In 1992 dividends of c. £20 were distributed in gifts to the needy of the parish. (fn. 7)
In 1832 John Round and his wife Susan granted 5 a. of common land on Bergholt heath, north-west of the junction of School Lane and the Colchester road, to the churchwardens and overseers for the benefit of the poor. The land was used as allotments for the poor. A Scheme of 1966 allowed 1 a. to be sold and the proceeds invested for the use of the charity. The income from the land in 1991 was £207. The inclosure award of 1865 allotted a further 5 a., north-east of the junction of New Church Road and Chapel Road, for new allotments for the poor. In 1992 the income from those allotments was £395. (fn. 8)