A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10, Lexden Hundred (Part) Including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 2001.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
CHARITIES FOR THE POOR
In 1454 Robert Holde conveyed to trustees a freehold estate called Machons (14 a.), the income to be used partly to endow an obit, partly to support the incumbent of Chappel or to relieve the poor. (fn. 1) The land was confiscated in 1548 and granted in 1549 to Henry Stapleton, whose interest may have passed to John Turner of Crepping. (fn. 2) In 1591 the rent was apparently being paid to the incumbent, but the estate was not finally recovered for the parish until c. 1598, when it was rented for 16s. 8d. a year. (fn. 3) In the late 17th century the income was £9 a year, paid to the curate or vicar if he needed it, otherwise to the poor. (fn. 4) By 1723 the income of £8 and 1 qr. of rye a year seems to have been given to the poor, as presumably was the £14 a year received in 1787. (fn. 5) The land belonged to the Chappel poor c. 1810. (fn. 6) In 1837 the charity was called Holde's and Leving's, although the endowment was Holde's. (fn. 7) In 1848 the income was £30 a year. (fn. 8) In the 1890s vicars attempted, unsuccess- fully, to reclaim the charity. (fn. 9) The land was sold in 1890 and the proceeds invested by the charity commissioners. (fn. 10) In 1931 poor widows received £1 each and poor householders 10s. each. (fn. 11) The charity was wound up in the 1990s and the remaining capital given to support the parish council's work with the elderly. (fn. 12)
Anne Bailey, who lived at Broom House in the 1840s, (fn. 13) by will of unknown date, beque- athed capital to provide gifts in money or kind for the poor of Chappel. The charity, which pro- duced c. £13 in 1887 and £10 in 1994, was gov- erned by a Scheme of 1978. The shares were sold in 1994, and in 1995 the balance in hand was £290. (fn. 14)