A History of the County of Essex: Volume 4, Ongar Hundred. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1956.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The origin and terms of King's Charity (founded 1679) have been described above, in connexion with the King's Trust School. By a scheme made in 1905 £48 of capital was set aside for the provision, which had been customary, of £1 a year for bibles and 4s. for the sexton. (fn. 1)
Mrs. Septame Mitchell, by will proved 1804, left £50 in trust for a yearly distribution to the poor on 1 January. In 1834 a quartern loaf was given to each poor adult and a half quartern to each child. (fn. 2) In 1950 the income of £1 2s. 8d. was applied to the relief of the poor. (fn. 3)
Edward Sammes of Chipping Ongar, by will proved 1882, left £100 in trust for the purchase of tea and sugar to be given annually to 30 poor families of Chipping Ongar. The income was £2 8s. 8d. in 1950. (fn. 4)
In 1786 it was stated that William Green, by will dated 1554, devised a rent charge of £2 to 12 of the poorest inhabitants of Stanford Rivers and of £1 to six poor of Chipping Ongar, but that this had not been paid since 1739. Nothing was known of this charity in 1835 except that a suit-the result of which was unknown-had been instituted 'many years ago' to recover these bequests. (fn. 5)