A History of the County of Essex: Volume 4, Ongar Hundred. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1956.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In 1672 a room in Peter Foster's house in High Ongar was licensed for worship by Congregationalists. (fn. 1)
In 1829 there was a small Congregational society meeting at Paslow Wood Common, under the ministry of the Revd. Isaac Taylor of Chipping Ongar (q.v.). (fn. 2) The attendance then numbered about 50, but there is no apparent evidence that it continued for long.
The Gospel Hall at Marden Ash was founded about 1900 as a result of the Tent Missions held in the neighbourhood. It is a very small red-brick building. (fn. 3) A chapel in Mill Lane, founded about 1929, was in connexion with the Gospel Hall, but is now rented by the Baptists of Blackmore. (fn. 4) It is a small weather-boarded building.