A History of the County of Essex: Volume 4, Ongar Hundred. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1956.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In 1834 the house of James Cavill at Theydon Bois was licensed for the worship of Protestant dissenters. (fn. 1)
A Baptist church was founded here about 1885. (fn. 2) In 1900 it had 20 members and 60 Sunday school children. (fn. 3) The membership rose steadily to 85 in 1951, when there were 135 children in the Sunday school; the church then had a resident minister. (fn. 4) The present building, of brown brick with round-headed windows, stands on the south-west side of Theydon Green. It is dated 1894 (fn. 5) and seems to have been altered and restored later.