A History of the County of Essex: Volume 4, Ongar Hundred. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1956.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In 1829 nonconformist worship was being conducted in a licensed house at Kelvedon Common by the Revd. D. Smith an Independent minister from Brentwood. (fn. 1) It is possible that there was some continuity between this congregation and that which later in the 19th century met in the building now used as the village hall. Services were conducted there by a visiting minister until about 1890. (fn. 2) The building is timber-framed and weather-boarded and was probably built early in the 19th century. (fn. 3)