A History of the County of Essex: Volume 4, Ongar Hundred. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1956.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The house of Robert Morris in High Laver was licensed for Presbyterian worship in 1673, (fn. 1) but no permanent congregation appears to have been established. About 1869 Mr. Vale, the Congregational evangelist from Moreton (q.v.), started preaching at Thrushesbush in High Laver. (fn. 2) In 1870 Vale reported that the work at Thrushesbush was not going well, 'great influence is used to prevent the poor from attending'. (fn. 3) For several years Thrushesbush continued to be associated with Moreton. In 1876 the Revd. W. Passmore of Moreton and the Revd. G. E. Singleton of Hatfield Heath both helped there, and in 1877 a chapel was opened, the gift of Mr. Matthews of Campions, near Hatfield Heath. (fn. 4) In 1882 it was attended by about 60, but by 1883 it had ceased to be used by the Congregationalists. (fn. 5)
In 1883 it was proposed that the Wanstead and Woodford Methodist circuit should take it over. The circuit refused, but Messrs. E. Pope, Godwin, and Bowes purchased the chapel, and it was subsequently accepted on the circuit plan. (fn. 6) It was later taken over by the North West Essex Mission and had apparently been closed by 1906. (fn. 7)
It is now a dwelling house called 'Drinkwaters'. It lies outside the parish boundary on the north side of the Harlow road. The upper part of the structure is timber framed, the panels being filled with brick nogging and plaster. The front is altered.