A History of the County of Essex: Volume 4, Ongar Hundred. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1956.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The manor of CHIGWELL, later known as CHIGWELL HALL alias CHIGWELL-AND-WEST HATCH, was held in 1066 by Earl Harold. After the Conquest it was given to Ralph de Limesi, whose chief seat was at Wolverley in Solihull (Warws.). (fn. 1) The tenancy in chief of the manor descended in the Limesi family and their heirs the Dodyngsells. John de Dodyngsells held it in 1350. (fn. 2)
Alan de Limesi, son of Ralph, granted the tenancy in demesne of the manor to Richard de Lucy, the Justiciar of Henry II, to hold for 1 knight's fee. (fn. 3)The grant was confirmed before 1163 by Gerard de Limesi, Alan's son. (fn. 4) De Lucy's interest in the manor subsequently passed through his daughter Maud, wife of Walter Fitz Robert of Woodham Walter to the Fitzwalter family. (fn. 5) Walter, Lord Fitzwalter (d. 1406) held 1 knight's fee in Chigwell. (fn. 6)
After acquiring the tenancy of the manor Richard de Lucy enfeoffed Ralph Brito, who held of Richard for 1 knight's fee. (fn. 7) Some time after this Richard appears to have enfeoffed William de Goldingham so that he became the overlord of Brito, holding of Richard for 1 knight's fee. (fn. 8) In 1169-70 William de Goldingham enfeoffed Robert son of Ralph Brito with the manor, to hold for 1 knight's fee. (fn. 9)
During the reign of Richard I Robert Brito suffered imprisonment and forfeiture for his adherence to Prince John. (fn. 10)In the 20 years that followed there were several disputes concerning the ownership of Chigwell. Before his imprisonment Robert Brito had leased the manor for ten years to Andrew Blund of London. The lease still had six years to run when the manor was seized by the king. (fn. 11) While the king had possession a suit was brought by Geoffrey Mauduit, claiming the manor. (fn. 12) Mauduit apparently succeeded in getting possession of it for a time but he was later ejected through the legal action of William son of Robert Brito and William's mother Philippa. (fn. 13) In 1214 Andrew Blund sued William Brito for the unexpired portion of the ten-year lease, and the court awarded him 50 marks in compensation. (fn. 14) In 1226 Gilbert Mauduit, presumably Geoffrey Mauduit's heir, quitclaimed a knight's fee in Chigwell to William Brito. (fn. 15) About 1235 Alan son of John de Goldingham quitclaimed all his rights in Ohigwell to William son of William Brito. (fn. 16) In or about 1254 William Brito's daughter was patron of the rectory and probably held the manor also. (fn. 17) Soon after this, however, the Goldinghams appear to have acquired the tenancy in demesne. In 1258 William de Goldingham made a conveyance of property in Chigwell (fn. 18) and in 1298 John de Goldingham was lord. (fn. 19) John died before 1316, leaving a son and heir John. (fn. 20)
John son of John de Goldingham was knighted and was still living in 1349. (fn. 21)He died about 1362 and was succeeded by his son Sir Alexander de Goldingham. (fn. 22) In 1381 Sir Alexander had licence to impark his garden and 50 acres of land adjoining his manor of Chigwell. (fn. 23) He died in 1408 leaving his estates to his wife Isabel for life with remainder to his son Sir Walter Goldingham. (fn. 24) Sir Walter was dead by 1435 when his widow had become the wife of Matthew Hay. (fn. 25) Sir Walter's daughter Eleanor married John Mannock of Stoke by Nayland (Suff.) who inherited the manor in right of his wife after the expiration of a life interest held by Matthew and Elizabeth Hay. (fn. 26) Mannock died in 1471 (fn. 27)and was succeeded by his son John who died in 1476, leaving Chigwell to George Mannock his elder son. (fn. 28)
In 1531 George Mannock leased the manor to John Kempe for 15 years, (fn. 29) but four years later sold it to the king. (fn. 30)In 1537 a 21-year lease was granted to William Rolte, serjeant-at-arms, (fn. 31) and this was upheld when Kempe claimed in respect of the earlier lease. (fn. 32) Rolte died in 1541, leaving the residue of his lease to George Stoner (fn. 33) who apparently transferred it soon after to his son John. (fn. 34) In 1550 Edward VI sold the manor to Sir Thomas Wroth, who died in 1573. (fn. 35) Sir Robert Wroth, son of Sir Thomas, married, before 1578, Susan daughter of John Stoner. (fn. 36)Chigwell descended in the Wroth family in the same way as the manor of Loughton (q.v.) until the death in 1642 of John Wroth. (fn. 37) John's estates were then apparently divided between the two sons of his brother Henry: John Wroth, who took Loughton (and Luxborough, see below), and Sir Henry Wroth, who took Chigwell. (fn. 38)
Sir Henry Wroth sold Chigwell in 1669 to Sir William Hicks of Ruckholts in Leyton, 1st Bt. (fn. 39) The manor descended with the baronetcy to Sir Henry (commonly called Harry) Hicks who took possession after the death of his mother in 1723. (fn. 40) Sir Henry, while retaining the manorial rights, sold the demesne lands of the manor and built himself a house near Woodford Bridge, formerly called the Bowling Green but now the Manor House. (fn. 41)He died in 1755. (fn. 42) His elder son, who became the 4th baronet, was blind and Sir Henry left his estates to his second son Michael Hicks, who died unmarried in 1764. (fn. 43) Michael left the estates in trust for the benefit of his blind brother Sir Robert and his sisters Ann Burton and Martha Petty, with successive remainders to Howe Hicks of Witcombe (Glos.), a relative, and Howe's second son Michael. (fn. 44)
Sir Robert Hicks died unmarried in 1768 but the trust continued until 1799 when Michael Burton, son of Ann, sold his interest in Chigwell to Michael, son of Howe Hicks. (fn. 45)This Michael had changed his name in 1790 to Hicks-Beach. (fn. 46) In 1800 a private Act of Parliament was passed to enable him to sell Chigwell and other property, which were still subject to the limitations imposed by the settlement under the will of Michael Hicks in 1764. (fn. 47) The purchaser was James Hatch of Bromley (Mdx.), a wealthy malt-distiller. He paid over £30,000 for the manor of Chigwell (including West Hatch) and the estate of 1,430 acres. (fn. 48)
Hatch died in 1806, leaving three daughters, Caroline wife of John Rutherforth Abdy, Jemima later wife of Christopher James Mills, and Louisa later wife of William Rufus Rous. The eldest daughter and her husband, who changed his name to Hatch-Abdy, acted as joint lords of Chigwell until her death without issue in 1838. The lordship then passed to Caroline's nephew James Mills, who died in 1884, also without issue. (fn. 49)Mills was succeeded by William John Rous, son of the above Louisa. Since Rous's death in 1914 the manor has been invested in trustees, chief among whom was the Earl of Stradbroke. (fn. 50) In 1839 James Mills's estate in Chigwell comprised about 900 acres. (fn. 51) This included Luxborough and Buckhurst (for both of which see below).
The original manor house of Chigwell Hall was beside the Roding where the R.A.F. Station now stands. (fn. 52) The moat which had surrounded the house survived until 1937, when it was filled in by the contractors building the R.A.F. Station. (fn. 53) The site had been deserted by the middle of the 17th century and a new manor house built near the church and the site of the modern Bramstons. (fn. 54)This house had evidently been rebuilt by about 1870. (fn. 55) The house now known as Chigwell Hall is a little to the south of the previous house, on the opposite side of Roding Lane. (fn. 56) The Manor House near Woodford Bridge has been greatly altered. It has fine wrought iron gates dating from the 18th century. It is now a convent.
In 1359 William de Melcesborn appointed attornies to give seisin of his manor of WEST HATCH to Nicholas Ploket. (fn. 57) In 1389 William Tasburgh clerk and John Bekke granted to Sir Alexander de Goldingham lands and tenements in the vills of Chigwell and Barking called 'le Westhach and Bookhurst', once belonging to Nicholas Ploket and previously to William de Melcesborn. (fn. 58) West Hatch subsequently passed along with the main manor of Chigwell Hall. (fn. 59)The two manors were usually described in the 17th century and later as the manor of Chigwell-and-West-Hatch. The present house of Great West Hatch dates from about 1800. It is of stock brick with two stories. It is now used as a hospital (see Public Services).
The manor of APPLETONS, now known as Old Farm, was in Green Lane. It probably took its name from the family of Thomas Apilton, who with his wife Anne was party to a fine of 1402 relating to 180 acres of land and 20 acres of meadow in Chigwell. (fn. 60) Later in the 15th century Philip Malpas held Appletons: it passed on his death to his daughter Elizabeth wife of Sir Thomas Cooke. (fn. 61) She died about 1484 having settled it upon her son John Cooke in reversion. (fn. 62) John died in 1486 holding it as a tenant of John [George ?] Mannock, lord of Chigwell Hall; his brother Sir Philip Cooke was his heir. (fn. 63) Appletons was later in the hands of William Cooke, probably the brother of Sir Philip. (fn. 64) In 1520 William sold the manor to Sir John Brygges and John Senewe of London. (fn. 65) Senewe died in 1537 leaving Appletons to the children of his sister Elizabeth, who had married John Hill. (fn. 66) About 1540 Tristram Cooke, son of Thomas, son of the above William Cooke, sought possession of the manor. (fn. 67) He appears to have had some success, for in 1564 the children of John Hill took proceedings against his representatives for unlawful entry. (fn. 68) The plaintiffs seem to have won their case: the Woolston court roll of 1567 recorded a declaration that Thomas Colshill, Thomas Fuller, and others who were shown to be the descendants of John Hill, jointly held the freehold of various lands, part of their ruined tenement called Appletons. (fn. 69) Colshill sold his share to Thomas Fuller who died about 1575 leaving the house of Appletons, in which he lived, to his nephew Henry Fuller of North Weald Bassett, probably a relative of the Henry Fuller who owned Stocktons (see below) about this time. (fn. 70) Thomas Fuller had presumably bought the other shares in the property, in addition to that of Colshill.
Henry Fuller died in 1602. (fn. 71) Appletons passed successively to his son (d. 1623) and his grandson, both named Henry. (fn. 72) Henry Fuller of Appletons appears in a presentment of 1668. (fn. 73) Thomas Buckford held Appletons from 1671 until his death in 1688. (fn. 74) In 1692 another Thomas Buckford sold it to Francis More. (fn. 75) More's granddaughter Winifred Pitfield (d. 1753) married Solomon Ashley, who died in 1778 holding Appletons. (fn. 76) He left it to Humphrey Stuart, presumably in trust for his son Solomon Ashley who was named as the owner in 1783. (fn. 77) In 1802 Stuart sold it to John Blades, on whose death in 1830 it passed to his daughter Elizabeth, wife of John Blackburn. (fn. 78) A Joshua Blackburn was given as the owner in 1839: the farm then comprised 63 acres. (fn. 79) Appletons was still owned by the Blackburns in 1873. (fn. 80) The present farmhouse is a red-brick building that appears to date from the late 19th century.
The manor of BARRINGTONS (or LITTLE CHIGWELL) took its name from the family of Barrington which held the tenancy in demesne from the 12th to the 16th century. It is probably identical with the estate of 2 hides and 15 acres which Robert Gernon was said to hold in Chigwell in 1086. (fn. 81) The overlordship appears to have descended like that of Battles in Stapleford Abbots (q.v.) until the death in 1267 of Richard de Montfichet. In 1274 ½ knight's fee in Chigwell and elsewhere was assigned to Philippa, wife of Roger de Lancaster and granddaughter of Margaret de Bolbec, sister of Richard de Montfichet. (fn. 82)On his death in 1360 John de Vere, Earl of Oxford, held ½ knight's fee in Chigwell. (fn. 83) It had probably come to him by reversionary grant in the same way as Stansted Mountfichet. (fn. 84)
The manor continued to be held of the earls of Oxford. In 1537 it was held of the then earl as of the honor of Hedingham Castle. (fn. 85)
The de Veres appear to have had an earlier interest in the manor than that which came to them in the 14th century. Early in the 12th century an Aubrey de Vere, one of the ancestors of the earls of Oxford, enfeoffed Eustace de Barrington with land in Chigwell which afterwards descended in the Barrington family. (fn. 86) It seems probable that before enfeoffing Barrington Aubrey de Vere had been tenant in demesne holding of Robert Gernon.
The family name of Barrington was derived from Barrington (Cambs.). Eustace de Barrington held land there in 1130. (fn. 87) He also held land in Hatfield Broad Oak which was later known as Barrington Hall, and he was a forester of Hatfield Forest, serving under Robert Gernon. (fn. 88)His son Humphrey de Barrington received confirmation by Aubrey de Vere of the grant previously made to Eustace. (fn. 89) Humphrey was succeeded by his son, another Humphrey, who was a minor at his father's death, which took place early in the reign of Henry II. (fn. 90)The younger Humphrey lived until the early 13th century; he was under-sheriff of Essex and Hertfordshire in 1197. (fn. 91) He was succeeded by his son Sir Nicholas de Barrington who held the manor in 1249. (fn. 92) Sir Nicholas was succeeded by his grandson, Nicholas, who was lord in 1274 and died about 1330. (fn. 93) The manor then passed to the younger Nicholas's son Nicholas Barrington III, who settled it in 1344 on his eldest son John. (fn. 94) John died about 1368 and his son and successor John about 1426. (fn. 95) Several deeds relating to Chigwell between 1319 and 1384 suggest that the Barringtons were at least occasionally resident in Chigwell during that period. (fn. 96)Certain copyhold lands within the manor of Woolston were held by this family and the descent of these as shown in the court rolls was probably the same as that of the manor of Barringtons. (fn. 97)
Thomas son of the last named John Barrington died in 1472 leaving his manor of Chigwell to his wife Anne for life with reversion to his son Edmund. (fn. 98) Anne is said to have died on the day after her husband. (fn. 99) In 1479 Margaret, formerly the wife of a Thomas Barrington, was declared to have previously held the manor jointly with her husband. (fn. 100)On her death in that year Barringtons passed to her husband's brother Humphrey Barrington. Humphrey and his brother were probably sons of the Thomas Barrington who had died in 1472. (fn. 101) Humphrey Barrington died before 1487 and was succeeded by his son Nicholas, who died in 1505. (fn. 102) Nicholas's son and heir Nicholas died in 1515. (fn. 103) John Barrington, son of the younger Nicholas, died in 1537. (fn. 104) He was succeeded by his son Thomas Barrington, who sold the manor of Barringtons in 1563 to Thomas Wiseman of Great Waltham, (fn. 105) thus breaking a connexion which had lasted for as long as 450 years. (fn. 106)
Thomas Wiseman died in the year that he bought the manor and was succeeded by his third son Stephen, who died childless in 1567. (fn. 107) Stephen's heir was John Wiseman, son of his brother William. (fn. 108) In 1573 William Tyffin of Wakes Colne did homage for Barringtons, presumably on account of his marriage to Mary, widow of Stephen Wiseman, who had a life interest. (fn. 109) During his lifetime Stephen had demised the manor with certain lands in Chigwell to John Morley and one Goldringe who were to pay rent to him and after his death to his widow; this rent was in arrear and was the cause of legal proceedings. (fn. 110) John Wiseman died in 1615, leaving Barringtons to his eldest son Thomas, who conveyed it in 1617 to John Hawkins. (fn. 111)
In 1626 Hawkins and his wife Sarah sold the manor to William Rolfe. (fn. 112) Rolfe sold it in 1629 to Henry Jackson, who in 1630 and 1634 claimed forest rights in respect of the manor. (fn. 113) In 1639 Jackson sold Barringtons to Thomas Wilmer, whose father had already purchased Rolls, the mansion house of the manor. (fn. 114) The first surviving court roll of the manor (1653) gives as lords Edmund Denny and Thomas Wilmer. (fn. 115) Wilmer was a major in the royalist army; he had probably sold half the manor to Denny to pay the fine for his delinquency. (fn. 116)In 1655 he sold the remaining half to Robert Abdy of Albyns (in Stapleford Abbots, q.v.) and John Chapman of London. (fn. 117) Abdy and Chapman were apparently trustees for Robert Abbott of London, who made his will in 1657, leaving a moiety of Barringtons to his wife for life and in 1658 added a codicil leaving all his manors to his executors in trust to provide portions for his children. (fn. 118) The executors were Abbott's wife Bethia and John Chapman her brother. In 1668 Abdy and Chapman conveyed this half of the manor to Sir Eliab Harvey and John Prestwood. (fn. 119)Eliab died in 1699, leaving all his manors in Essex to his son William. (fn. 120)
Edmund Denny, who had acquired the other half of Barringtons from Thomas Wilmer, died in 1656, leaving it to his wife Anne for life with reversion to his cousin William Gardner. (fn. 121) In 1657 Anne married Francis Comyn of London, vintner, and in the same year Gardner surrendered to Comyn all his rights in the halfmanor. (fn. 122) The court roll for 1659 names as lords Abdy, Chapman, Thomas King, John Jekyll, Edward Cotton, and John Berrisford. (fn. 123) The last four were presumably trustees to the settlement made on the marriage of Anne and Francis Comyn. Anne died in 1694 and Francis in 1697. (fn. 124) Their half of the manor passed to their son Francis Comyn who sold it in 1700 to William Harvey, who thus became owner of the whole manor. (fn. 125)
William Harvey died in 1731 and was succeeded by his son, also named William, who died in 1742. (fn. 126) The younger William was succeeded by his son, a third William Harvey, who died in 1763. (fn. 127) The manor then passed to William Harvey (IV), son of the last owner, who died unmarried in 1779, leaving Barringtons to his brother Eliab, later Admiral Sir Eliab Harvey. (fn. 128) The admiral died in 1830 without surviving male issue. He left the bulk of his estate, including Barringtons, to his eldest daughter Louisa, wife of William Lloyd of Aston Hall (Salop). In 1839 the estate in Chigwell consisted of about 420 acres. (fn. 129) Lloyd and his wife acted as joint lords of the manor until his death in 1843, after which Louisa was sole lady until her death in 1866. (fn. 130) Her son Richard T. Lloyd succeeded to the manor and died in 1898. Barringtons then passed to Richard's eldest son Lt.-Gen. Sir Francis Lloyd, who died without issue in 1926. The manor then passed to the Revd. Rossendale Lloyd, brother of Sir Francis. (fn. 131) Soon after this the manorial rights were sold to Philip Savill, from whom they passed to his son Mr. Lawrence L. Savill of Comenden Manor (Kent) who is their present owner. (fn. 132) The freehold of the Barringtons estate, however, remained in the Revd. Rossendale Lloyd who died in 1940 and was succeeded by his son Mr. Andrew F. Lloyd. (fn. 133)
Rolls House, the capital mansion of the Barringtons estate in modern times, is now (1953) in process of demolition, much of the older part having already disappeared. It was a two-story building with attics, partly timber-framed and partly of brick. The former kitchen block was built about 1600 and late in the 17th century the north-east and north-west wings were built or rebuilt, making the house L-shaped. Early in the 18th century a long addition was made on the south-east side of the north-east wing and there were later additions on the south and south-west. (fn. 134)
The manor of BUCKHURST alias MUNKENHILL alias MONKHAMS probably formed part of Barringtons (see above) until 1135, when William de Montfichet granted to the abbey of Stratford Langthorne his wood of Buckhurst. (fn. 135) The grant was later confirmed by Henry II. (fn. 136) The abbey's estate was increased by other grants: in 1217 Matthew de St. Tronius and Rose his wife quitclaimed to the abbey a third part of 55 acres in Chigwell which was her dower from her former husband Geoffrey Levenoth, and in 1230 William Fitz Edric granted to the Abbot of Stratford ¾ carucate and 8½ acres in Chigwell. (fn. 137) In 1240 the Abbot of Stratford came to an agreement with the Abbot of Waltham, a neighbouring landowner, concerning the agistment of cattle. (fn. 138) In 1253 Henry III granted the Abbot of Stratford free warren in his demesne in Chigwell and Woodford. (fn. 139) The boundary of the parish at Buckhurst Hill was for long ill defined and the manor of Buckhurst seems to have extended into Woodford.
Stratford Abbey retained Buckhurst until the Dissolution. (fn. 140) In 1521 John Saunders had a 41-year lease from William Etherway, then abbot, of a tenement called 'Buckhurst alias Monkyn'. (fn. 141) By 1527 the lease had passed to Ralph Johnson of Woodford. (fn. 142) In 1547 the king granted a tenement called Buckhurst and a grove called Monk Grove, formerly belonging to Stratford Abbey, to John Lyon alderman of London and Alice his wife, to hold by 1/40 knight's fee. (fn. 143) Sir John Lyon died in 1564 seised of this property. (fn. 144) He was succeeded by Richard Lyon, son of his brother Henry, who died in 1579. (fn. 145) Richard's son Henry Lyon died in 1590. (fn. 146) In 1611 Henry's son George Lyon leased the manor to the sitting tenant Joan Newman for 21 years. (fn. 147) In 1616 John Lyon sold the property to Thomas Hill of London, (fn. 148) and Hill sold it in 1649 to William and George Nutt who were brothers. (fn. 149)
George Nutt was dead by 1656 when his son George sold his interest in Monkhams to his uncle William Nutt. (fn. 150) In 1669 William Nutt settled it on his son on the marriage of the latter. (fn. 151) The younger William died in 1721, leaving the manor to his son William who sold it in 1725 to William Cleland of Woodford. (fn. 152) Cleland sold Monkhams in 1735 to Sir Joseph Eyles, Kt., who was already owner of the neighbouring estate of Luxborough (see below). (fn. 153) Eyles died in 1740 and his widow and executors sold the manor in 1746 to Robert Knight, 1st Baron Luxborough, whose father had bought Luxborough from them three years earlier. (fn. 154) Lord Luxborough sold both properties in 1750 to James Crokatt. (fn. 155) Crokatt sold them in 1767 to Baker J. Littlehales, who conveyed them a few days later to Sir Edward Walpole, K.B. (fn. 156) Walpole sold them in 1775 to Samuel Peach. (fn. 157) In 1781 Peach went bankrupt and Buckhurst and Luxborough were bought from his creditors by Sir Edward Hughes, whose widow Ruth sold them in 1799 to James Hatch, lord of Chigwell Hall. (fn. 158) Thereafter they passed along with Chigwell Hall. In 1839 the farm of Monkhams included 178 acres and was let by James Mills to William Death. (fn. 159) The farm survived until 1936, when it was broken up for building. The house, which was then demolished, stood at the south-west corner of Lords Bushes. (fn. 160) Its site is now Farm Way and Farm Close.
The manor of GRANGE, which gave its name to Grange Hill, was originally part of Chigwell Hall (see above). In 1258 William de Goldingham and Aline his wife confirmed to Robert, Abbot of Tilty, gifts to the abbey of 3 messuages and 234½ acres of land in Chigwell. (fn. 161) The original donors were Herbert the chaplain, John Fitz Gilbert, Margery de Chigwell, and John the Miller and Agnes his Wife, all of whom were evidently tenants of Chigwell Hall. The land so granted became a grange of Tilty Abbey and remained in the possession of the abbey until the Dissolution. (fn. 162) In 1536 William Baker of Epping, carpenter, rendered his first account to the king as lessee of Chigwell Grange. He held the manor on a 31-year lease from Michaelmas 1532, at an annual rent of £3 10s. (fn. 163) In 1538 the manor was bought from the Crown by Thomas Addington of London, skinner, for £60. (fn. 164) Addington died in 1543 and was succeeded by his son Thomas. (fn. 165) The younger Thomas conveyed the manor to James Altham of London, clothworker, at a date not exactly known, and in 1555 Altham granted it to Anthony Browne of South Weald. (fn. 166) In 1555 the manor was said to consist of 4 messuages, 60 acres of land, 200 acres of meadow, 40 acres of pasture, and 10 acres of wood: it would thus appear to have been reduced by about 100 acres since the 13th century. Later in 1555 Browne sold 14½ acres of land in Chigwell, of which 11½ acres were part of the manor of Grange, to John Stonarde and others. This small holding later became the endowment of a road charity founded by Joan Sympson. (fn. 167)
In 1558 Browne endowed his newly founded grammar school at Brentwood with this manor and other property, confirming the grants by his will of 1565. (fn. 168)The grammar school remained owners of this estate until about 1900, since when various sales have taken place, mostly for building. In 1839 the property consisted of some 140 acres. (fn. 169) Grange farm-house was about 300 yds. east of the junction between Hainault Road and Manor Road. (fn. 170)
The manor of KING'S PLACE alias LANGFORDS alias POTELLS, at Buckhurst Hill, probably originated in the purchase by Edward III (through his son John of Gaunt) in 1360 of a messuage and 92 acres of land from Matthew de Torkeseye. (fn. 171) In 1372 Alexander de Goldingham, lord of Chigwell Hall, released to the king all his rights in this property 'now commonly called the Neweloggelands in Chigwell'. (fn. 172) From this release it is clear that Matthew de Torkeseye had held the estate as a tenant of the manor of Chigwell Hall. In 1378 Alan de Buxhull was granted custody of the king's new lodge in Waltham Forest, free of rent on condition that he kept the houses in repair. (fn. 173) In 1476 Edward IV enlarged the estate by the purchase of a neighbouring estate from Robert Langford and others. (fn. 174) Soon after this Edward IV granted the custody of the whole property for life to Sir John Risley and in 1485 Henry VII confirmed the grant. (fn. 175) Risley appears to have later received a grant of the estate in tail male, but he died without a male heir and in 1513 King's Place was granted in tail male to William Compton. (fn. 176) Compton was later knighted and died in 1528, leaving a son and heir Peter, who died in 1539. (fn. 177)Peter's son Henry was created Baron Compton in 1572 and died in 1589. (fn. 178)William, 2nd Baron Compton, negotiated with the queen in 1596 for the reversion of the manor of King's Place (in default of the issue of the 1st baron), but nothing appears to have come of this. (fn. 179)Early in 1597 the queen granted the reversion to Thomas Spencer and Robert Atkinson. (fn. 180) During the 16th century the estate was leased to at least two different tenants. In his will dated 1541 William Rolte, tenant of Chigwell Hall, mentioned his lease of King's Place. (fn. 181) In 1576 Richard Hayle left his lease of the property to his wife Agnes. (fn. 182)
Although there was no failure of the heirs male of the 1st Baron Compton King's Place seems to have passed out of the hands of the 2nd baron soon after 1597. In 1612 Thomas Covell described himself in his will as of King's Place. (fn. 183) His daughter Elizabeth had married Roger Forster in 1610. (fn. 184) She died in or before 1622, when Forster married Mary, eldest daughter of John Penington. (fn. 185) In 1624 King's Place was settled on Forster and Mary. (fn. 186)Forster died in 1633 and Mary married Michael Ernle, who died in 1645. (fn. 187) Mary finally married Sir Thomas Perient and lived at King's Place until her death. (fn. 188)
The estate was, however, settled in 1657 on her daughter Mary Ernle on the marriage of the latter to Henry Goodricke of Grays Inn. (fn. 189) Mary and Henry are said to have sold it a year later to William Livesaye, (fn. 190)whose son and namesake later sold it to Elizabeth Colwall, widow, with successive remainders to her sons John and Arnold: John Colwall died without issue before 1680, when his mother settled King's Place upon Arnold Colwall. (fn. 191)By 1705 the manor had passed to Arnold's son, Daniel Colwall of the Friary, Guildford (Surr.). (fn. 192) Arnold's widow Susanna married Foot Onslow and appears to have had some interest in King's Place in 1705 and 1708. (fn. 193)
In 1716 Thomas Gibson and John Jacob, trustees under Daniel Colwall's will, sold the property to Percival Chandler, who lived at the farm until about 1730. (fn. 194) He is said to have sold King's Place in 1741 to Oliver Marton, who died in 1744. (fn. 195)Marton was succeeded by his son Edward, who died in 1758, leaving the property to his brother the Revd. Oliver Marton. (fn. 196)A year later Oliver sold King's Place to Robert Jones of Babraham (Cambs.). (fn. 197) Jones died in 1774, leaving an only daughter Anne who married General J. W. Adeane, who inherited all Jones's property. (fn. 198) The general died in 1782 and was succeeded by his son Robert Jones Adeane. (fn. 199) On Robert's death in 1810 King's Place passed to Henry J. Adeane, who died in 1847. (fn. 200) In 1839 the property consisted of 156 acres. (fn. 201)In 1853 the executors of H. J. Adeane sold it to the National Freehold Land Society who shortly after broke it up for building development. (fn. 202) The name of this ancient manor is retained in King's Place and King's Avenue, Buckhurst Hill.
The manor of LUXBOROUGH probably took its name from the family of Loughteborough which lived in Chigwell in the 14th century. William de Loughteborough was named in a Forest Roll in 1324 and in 1316 Henry Doule and Eve his wife quitclaimed to William de Loughteborough a messuage and 132 acres in Chigwell. (fn. 203) Robert de Loughteborough and Margaret his wife were assessed to the subsidy of 1390. (fn. 204)In 1559 Francis Saunders and Margaret Valentyne, widow, sold the manor of 'Loughbroughes' to John Stoner, who built himself a house there. (fn. 205) Stoner died in 1579, leaving the manor and the house to his wife Anne with reversion to his only daughter Susan, wife of Sir Robert Wroth, lord of Chigwell Hall (see above). (fn. 206) In 1580 Anne conveyed her interest to Robert and Susan, (fn. 207) and Luxborough passed along with Chigwell Hall until 1642, when the estates of John Wroth were divided. Luxborough then passed to John, elder son of Henry Wroth and nephew of the above John Wroth, by virtue of a settlement made in 1640 on the marriage of John the nephew with Anne Gallard, widow. (fn. 208) Anne's will, dated 1675, was cited in legal proceedings in 1676. (fn. 209) She left Luxborough for life to her son by her first marriage, John Gallard, with successive remainders to her son John Wroth for life and her grandson John Wroth for ever. (fn. 210) Her husband John Wroth had died in 1662. (fn. 211)John Wroth her son died in 1708. (fn. 212) In 1716 her grandson John Wroth sold Luxborough, then heavily mortgaged, to Robert Knight, cashier of the South Sea Company. (fn. 213) After the failure of the company in 1720 Knight's estates, with those of the governors and directors, were vested in trustees and in 1724 the manor of Luxborough was bought from these by Sir Joseph Eyles, Kt. (fn. 214) Eyles died in 1740 and in 1743 his trustees contracted to sell the property to Knight, who had returned from abroad on receiving a royal pardon for his activities in the South Sea Company. (fn. 215) Knight died in 1744, before the completion of the sale. Before his death he had settled his estates on his son, Robert Knight later created Baron Luxborough, and the manor passed to the son on completion of the sale. (fn. 216)In 1746 Eyles's trustees also sold Buckhurst to Lord Luxborough, and the two manors subsequently descended together, becoming part of the Chigwell Hall estate in 1799. (fn. 217)
The 16th-century manor house at Luxborough built by John Stoner was rebuilt, probably in 1716-20, by Robert Knight. (fn. 218) Prints of 1787 and 1788 show respectively the south and east fronts of the house. (fn. 219)It was of two stories and appears to have been of brick with stone or plaster dressings. To the north and east were lower two-story ranges of stables and outbuildings. The south or garden front had a central doorway with a small classical porch. The entrance front on the east side was more impressive. Between two projecting wings was a recessed portico of five bays. Corinthian columns the full height of the building supported an entablature and pediment. Flanking this the parapet was balustraded. The house was demolished about 1800 by James Hatch. (fn. 220)
The small manor of STOCKTONS alias SERJEANTS lay in Gravel Lane. John Stokton was mentioned in the Woolston court rolls in 1462. (fn. 221) He was later knighted and became Lord Mayor of London in 1470. (fn. 222)He died about 1473, leaving his Chigwell property to his younger son William, who died in 1483. (fn. 223) In 1543 Edward Brockett conveyed Stocktons to John Potter. (fn. 224) Potter died about 1546, leaving all his lands in Chigwell to his son Thomas, who jointly with his wife Margaret conveyed Stocktons in 1567 to John Watson and Elizabeth his wife. (fn. 225) In 1590 Henry Fuller of North Weald Bassett left Serjeants to his son Richard. (fn. 226) Henry Fuller of Serjeants was mentioned several times in the Woolston court rolls between 1614 and 1621 (fn. 227)and the property seems to have remained in the Fuller family until the end of the 17th century. About 1700 John Fuller sold it to Edward Green who died in 1707, leaving his 'farm in Gravel Lane' to his son John. (fn. 228) John Green died soon after, leaving it to his mother Ann Green. (fn. 229) In 1709 she left her freehold estate called Serjeants to her son Charles Green. (fn. 230) By 1763 it had passed into the hands of the Harveys, owners of the manor of Barringtons: in that year it was let by Emma Harvey, as guardian of her son William Harvey. (fn. 231) The lease described the property as fields, barns, &c., containing 21 acres. After the 16th century the farm was never termed a manor. In 1687 it was even questioned whether it was a freehold. (fn. 232)
In 1066 the manor of WOOLSTON was held by Earl Harold. It was then taken by King William and in 1086 was held by him in demesne. (fn. 233)During the 12th century the manor was granted to the Sanford family to hold in serjeanty by virtue of the office of chamberlain to the queen. (fn. 234)A John de Sanford held the manor in 1210-12 (fn. 235) and Cecily de Sanford in 1219. (fn. 236) Gilbert de Sanford held Woolston in 1236, in which year he officiated at the coronation of Eleanor of Provence. (fn. 237) He was still living in 1248, (fn. 238) but was dead by April 1249 when the wardship of his daughter and heir Alice de Sanford was bought by Fulk Basset, Bishop of London. (fn. 239) In June 1249 the bishop sold the wardship to Hugh de Vere, Earl of Oxford, who married Alice to his son and heir Robert. (fn. 240)In 1259 John de Rivers, lord of Ongar hundred, granted to Robert de Vere and Alice his wife a release of 4d. rent at their view of frankpledge at Woolston. (fn. 241) In 1265 Robert's estates were forfeited for his part in the Barons' War; the township of Woolston was then said to be worth £6 6s. 8d. a year. (fn. 242) Robert recovered his estates under the Dictum of Kenilworth, but before this, in October 1265, all Alice's hereditary lands had been restored to her. (fn. 243)
In 1284 Robert and Alice granted the reversion of Woolston after their deaths to their daughter Joan and her husband William de Warenne, son and heir of John de Warenne, Earl of Surrey (d. 1304). (fn. 244) Robert died in 1296; Woolston was then being held of him and Alice by William le Plomer. (fn. 245) Alice died in 1312. She had outlived both her daughter Joan and William de Warenne and Woolston passed to John, Earl of Surrey, son of Joan and William. (fn. 246) Before 1321 John conveyed the manor to his sister Alice and her husband Edmund Fitz Alan Earl of Arundel. (fn. 247) Woolston did not escheat after the execution of Arundel in 1326 because it was his wife's inheritance. (fn. 248) Alice died between 1330 and 1338, and the manor passed to her son Richard Fitz Alan, who had been restored to the earldom of Arundel in 1330. (fn. 249) In 1345 Woolston was being held for life by Isabel Dispenser, the divorced wife of Richard. (fn. 250) Richard died in 1376. (fn. 251) The manor passed to his son Richard, Earl of Arundel, who was executed in 1397. (fn. 252) The attainder of this earl was reversed in 1400 and his titles and estates were restored to his son Thomas, who in 1405 granted Woolston for life to his servant John Wele. (fn. 253) Thomas died in 1415 and John Wele in 1420. (fn. 254) Shortly before he died Wele was involved in a Chancery action against the king in respect of Woolston. (fn. 255) In 1421 the manor was divided between Thomas's three daughters, Elizabeth, Duchess of Norfolk, Joan, Lady Bergavenny, and Margaret, wife of Rowland Lenthal. (fn. 256)
In 1425, shortly before her death, the Duchess of Norfolk granted her third part of Woolston to Norman Babington and Margaret his wife. (fn. 257) Norman died holding it in 1434 and Margaret held it at her death in 1451. (fn. 258) It then passed to Norman's brother Sir William Babington. (fn. 259) In the same year Sir William settled the manor upon his sons William, Robert, and Thomas Babington and the heirs of Robert. (fn. 260) Sir William died in 1454, his son William in 1474 and Thomas in 1471, (fn. 261) but it is not known how this third of the manor passed between 1471 and 1485, when it had come to William Scott (see below).
In 1428 Joan Lady Bergavenny enfeoffed Robert Darcy and others with her third part of Woolston. (fn. 262) In 1457 the surviving feoffees settled the property on Joan's grandson, Thomas Ormond, with successive remainders to his brothers John Ormond and James, Earl of Wiltshire. (fn. 263) In 1476 Thomas Ormond conveyed it to William Scott and Robert Hardyng. (fn. 264)
After the death of Margaret Lenthal her third part of the manor was held by her husband until he died in 1450. It then passed to John de Mowbray, Duke of Norfolk, grandson of the above Elizabeth, Duchess of Norfolk, and to George Neville, later Lord Bergavenny, great-grandson of Joan, Lady Bergavenny. (fn. 265) In the division of Margaret Lenthal's inheritance between Mowbray and Neville the third part of Woolston was assigned to Mowbray. (fn. 266) In 1468 John de Mowbray, Duke of Norfolk, conveyed the property to Thomas Hoo and others. (fn. 267)This was the first of a complicated series of conveyances between various parties, including George Neville, by which this third of Woolston was conveyed to William Scott and Robert Hardyng. (fn. 268)
By 1485 all three parts of the manor had been united in the hands of William Scott, who had been acting as lord three years earlier when he signed an agreement between his bailiff and his tenants, detailing the services to be performed by the latter. (fn. 269) He died in 1491, leaving Woolston to his fifth son George, who died without issue in 1534. (fn. 270) George probably lived at Woolston Hall. At his death the manor was said to include 10 acres of arable, 24 acres of meadow, 80 acres of pasture, 8 acres of wood, and £9 rent. (fn. 271)
George Scott's heir was Walter Scott, lord of the manor of Stapleford Tawney (q.v.), who was the grandson of John Scott (d. 1527), eldest son of William Scott (d. 1491). (fn. 272) Walter Scott died in 1550 and his son Roger in 1585. (fn. 273) George, son of Roger Scott, died in 1589. (fn. 274) Neither Walter nor Roger nor George acted as lord of the manor, for by the will of George son of William Scott a 99-year lease of Woolston had been granted to William's sixth son Hugh. (fn. 275) Hugh acted as lord of the manor until his death in 1540, and so also did his son George. (fn. 276)
When George son of Roger Scott died in 1589 he left Woolston in his will to his two daughters Elizabeth and Mary. (fn. 277) This bequest was, however, invalid owing to a settlement made under the will of William Scott (d. 1491). By that settlement the manor passed to George Scott, son of Hugh, who was already the tenant of Woolston under the 99-year lease. This George Scott was living at Woolston Hall when he became its owner. (fn. 278) He died a few months later, in December 1589. (fn. 279) He had made his will before inheriting the freehold, leaving his lease of Woolston to his grandson George son of William Scott. According to the settlement of 1491 the heir to the freehold was William Scott, eldest son of the George Scott who died in December 1589. William never acted as lord of the manor. He died in 1597. (fn. 280) George, son of William Scott, who had inherited the lease of the manor, acted as lord from 1590 onwards. (fn. 281) He died in 1648. (fn. 282) He never lived at Woolston Hall, which was let to various tenants. (fn. 283) About 1640 he had settled Woolston on his son and heir George Scott, who inherited the manor in 1648 and died in 1683. (fn. 284) The last named George Scott was succeeded by his son William, who died in 1725. (fn. 285) William's elder son George inherited the manor but died unmarried in 1727. (fn. 286) He was succeeded by his brother Thomas who died in 1733. (fn. 287) Thomas's son, George Scott, was a minor, and manor courts were held until 1741 in the name of his guardian, Sir Robert Abdy, Bt. (fn. 288) George died childless in 1780, leaving Woolston to his second cousin Robert Bodle of Clare Market, London, a picture-frame maker. (fn. 289)
Robert Bodle died in 1785, leaving Woolston in trust for the benefit of his son Robert, who came of age in 1791. (fn. 290) The younger Robert held Woolston until his death in 1851. In 1839 his estate consisted of 350 acres in Chigwell parish. (fn. 291) He left two daughters, of whom the elder, Mary Elizabeth, inherited the manor but died unmarried in 1872. (fn. 292) The younger daughter, Louisa, had married George Watlington as his second wife, but died without issue before her sister. After the death of Mary Elizabeth Woolston passed to John Watlington Perry Watlington, son of Thomas Perry by his wife Maria Jane, daughter of George Watlington by his first wife. J. W. Perry Watlington died childless in 1882, and his estates passed to his sister Louisa wife of Robert Peel Ethelston. She died in 1892, leaving Woolston to her second son Robert W. Ethelston. He died in 1914 and the manor was subsequently vested in trustees. (fn. 293) Shortly before 1939 Woolston Hall was sold, possibly for the first time since the 12th century. It is now a sports club belonging to the Co-operative Wholesale Society. (fn. 294) The building is L-shaped in plan, with the main front facing south-east. It is of two stories with attics, partly timber-framed and plastered and partly of brick. It was built about 1600, possibly incorporating remains of an earlier house. The southwest front has an early 18th-century eaves cornice and a Doric porch with paired outer columns. The house was 'modernized and improved' early in the 19th century, probably by Robert Bodle. (fn. 295) Over the mantel shelf in the entrance hall is an oil painting, installed by George Scott (d. 1780) depicting his arms impaling those of his wife Jane (Gibson) and several trophies. (fn. 296)