A History of the County of Essex: Volume 4, Ongar Hundred. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1956.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Richard Bourne of Greenstead Hall (d. 1660) left to the poor of the parish 40s. issuing from Lee Fields. (fn. 1) In 1834 the money was used to buy coal for all the poor householders. The rent-charge was not collected from 1908 to 1924 but it is now being paid and is used for the general purposes of the charities.
Mary Rayner, by will proved 1873, left £200 for the purchase of blankets and clothing to be distributed to the deserving poor in winter. (fn. 2)
Edward Sammes, by will proved 1882, left to the rector £10 and £100 duty-free to be invested respectively for the upkeep of his grave and for the purchase of tea and sugar to be distributed on 6 January to eighteen poor families in the parish. (fn. 3) The first bequest was void by the rule against perpetuities.
The three charities of Bourne, Rayner, and Sammes were united in 1904 to form the Consolidated Charities. (fn. 4) Their income was to be used for the poor and sick, primarily as gifts in kind, and in help to hospitals &c., caring for the sick of the parish. In 1945 the income was used to give £1 1s. each to the Ongar nurse and the Ongar Hospital and to give coal to two poor people.
Howel J. J. Price (d. 1943) left £100 in trust for the repair of his grave and the benefit of the poor of the parish. (fn. 5) The former purpose was void. In 1950 £1 was given to the Greenstead School Foundation and £1 to the Greenstead Consolidated Charities.