A History of the County of Essex: Volume 6. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1973.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
This volume of the Victoria History of Essex is the fifth to be published under the co-operative system described in the editorial note to Volume IV. The contributing Local Authorities have continued, and have substantially increased their grants, and the Essex Victoria County History Committee, formed mainly of representatives of those Authorities, has continued to survey the progress of the work under the chairmanship of Mr. William Addison. Mr. John O'Leary, Honorary Secretary of the Committee since its formation, retired in 1967. He was succeeded by Mr. Donald L. Forbes, who was already Honorary Treasurer, and who has since then held both offices. Mr. I. G. Sparkes, Honorary Assistant Secretary from 1967 to 1969, was succeeded by Mr. K. H. Sleat. The University of London expresses its thanks to these gentlemen and to the other officers and members of the Committee for their services, and to the participating Authorities (listed below) for their generous grants. During the compilation of the present volume the deputy editorship has been held by Miss Hilda E. P. Grieve, B.E.M. (1966–73). Mrs. Avril H. Powell (1959–70) and Mrs. Beryl A. Board (from 1969) have served as part-time editorial assistants.
The structure and aims of the Victoria History series as a whole are outlined in the General Introduction to the History (1970). As in Volumes IV and V the brief descriptions of the earlier parochial registers of each parish, commonly included in the topographical volumes of the History, have not been considered necessary because of the publication by the County Council of Essex Parish Records, 1240–1894 (1950; revised edn. 1966).
The compilers have again received help from many persons, whose kindness is acknowledged in the text of the volume and in the lists of illustrations and of maps. Especial thanks are due to Major Y. A. Burges for arranging for the temporary deposit in the Essex Record Office of his estate documents relating to East Ham, and for other help, and to Mr. L. Johnson, for information on postal history. Valuable services, including proof-reading, were rendered by the staffs of the public libraries and museums at Newham and Waltham Forest, the public library at Redbridge, and the Essex Record Office. Proofs of parts of the volume were also read by Mr. G. Caunt, Mr. D. L. Forbes, Mr. W. G. S. Tonkin, and the late Mr. E. R. Gamester. The Department of the Environment has continued to allow the use of its unpublished lists of buildings of architectural or historical interest. A gift of £100 from Mr. Marc Fitch, towards the cost of drawing the maps, is also gratefully acknowledged.