A History of the County of Essex: Volume 7. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1978.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In 1945 Hornchurch, previously in the Romford division, became a separate county constituency, coincident with Hornchurch urban district. (fn. 1) It was constituted a parliamentary borough in 1948. With an electorate which rose from 66,000 in 1945 to 100,000 in 1970 Hornchurch was one of the largest constituencies in the country. It had a Labour member from 1945 to 1955 and from 1966 to 1970, and a Conservative from 1955 to 1966 and 1970 to 1974. Boundary changes, which took effect in 1974, created three constituencies for the parliamentary borough of Havering: Hornchurch, Romford, and Upminster.