A History of the County of Essex: Volume 7. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1978.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
This volume of the Victoria History of Essex is the sixth to be published under the cooperative system described in the editorial note to Volume IV. The contributing Local Authorities have continued, and have substantially increased, their grants. It is to be added that the Essex County Council, which had for many years been giving practical help, in 1977 took over from the District Councils the payment of contributions for the administrative county. The councils of the Greater London Boroughs of Barking, Havering, Newham, Redbridge, and Waltham Forest, continue to furnish contributions for their own areas.
The Essex Victoria County History Committee, formed mainly of representatives of the Local Authorities, has continued to survey the progress of the work under the chairmanship of Sir William Addison. Mr. Donald Forbes, Honorary Treasurer of the committee from 1955, and also Honorary Secretary from 1967, retired in 1975. He was succeeded as Honorary Secretary by Mr. William H. Liddell, and as Honorary Treasurer by Mr. Geoffrey J. Clements. Mr. Kenneth H. Sleat has continued as Honorary Assistant Secretary. The University of London expresses its thanks to these gentlemen and to the other officers and members of the committee, and to the participating Local Authorities (listed below) for their generous grants. During the preparation of the present volume the assistant editorship was held by Dr. David R. Ransome (1973–6), and by Miss Vanessa A. Harding (from 1977). Mrs. Beryl A. Board has continued as senior editorial assistant, and in 1977 Mrs. W. Stubbings was appointed as an editorial assistant. Secretarial help has been given in the preparation of this volume by Mrs. D. Maclaine, Mrs. M. Reeve, and Mrs. K. Caddy.
The structure and aims of the Victoria History as a whole are outlined in the General Introduction to the History (1970). As in Volumes IV, V, and VI the brief descriptions of the earlier parochial registers of each parish, commonly included in the topographical volumes of the History, have not been considered necessary, because of the publication by the County Council of Essex Parish Records, 1240–1894 (1950; revised edn. 1966).
The compilers have again received help from many persons, whose kindness is acknowledged in the text of the volume and in the lists of illustrations and of maps. Especial thanks are due to the Warden and Fellows of New College, Oxford, and their Archivist, Mr. F. W. Steer, for providing access to the college records and for allowing their Liber Niger (MS 9744) to be taken to Chelmsford for microfilming; to the late Mr. F. Lewis for the loan of his manuscripts and cuttings; and to Mr. K. G. Farries for much information on windmills. Mr. E. A. Bird, Mr. G. J. Clements, the Revd. H. Johnson, archdeacon of Sheffield, Mr. C. J. Whitwood, and Havering public libraries provided information and read drafts. Valuable services of many kinds have been rendered by the Essex Record Office, and the early death of the County Archivist, Mr. K. C. Newton, in March 1978 is a great loss not only to the office but also to the Victoria History of Essex. The Department of the Environment has continued to allow the use of its unpublished lists of buildings of architectural or historical interest. The Greater London Council, Historic Buildings Division, has furnished information on the buildings in Havering London Borough. A gift of £350 from Dr. Marc Fitch, to pay for the frontispiece, is gratefully acknowledged.