A History of the County of Essex: Volume 8. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1983.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
This volume of the Victoria History of Essex is the seventh to be published under the co-operative system described in the editorial note to volume IV. Essex County Council, and the councils of the London Boroughs of Barking, Havering, Newham, Redbridge, and Waltham Forest have continued and have substantially increased their grants. The Essex Victoria County History Committee, formed mainly of representatives of the Local Authorities, has continued to survey the progress of the work under the chairmanship of Sir William Addison. Mr. William H. Liddell has continued as Honorary Secretary, Mr. Geoffrey J. Clements as Honorary Treasurer, and Mr. Kenneth H. Sleat as Honorary Assistant Secretary. The University of London expresses its thanks to them, to the other officers and members of the committee, and to the participating Local Authorities for their generous grants. During the preparation of the present volume assistant editorships were held by Miss Vanessa A. Harding (1977–9) and by Mrs. Beryl A. Board and Mrs. Norma Knight (both from 1979). Mrs. Wendy Stubbings, editorial assistant (1977–81) was succeeded by Mrs. Shirley Durgan, who was promoted research officer in 1982. At an earlier stage of the volume some editorial assistance was given by Mr. J. Howson.
The structure and aims of the Victoria History as a whole are outlined in the General Introduction to the History (1970). As in volumes IV-VII the brief descriptions of the earlier parochial registers of each parish, commonly included in the topographical volumes of the History, have not been considered necessary, because of the publication by the County Council of Essex Parish Records, 1240–1894 (1950; revised edn. 1966).
The compilers have again received help from many persons, whose kindness is acknowledged in the footnotes of the volume and in the lists of plates and of maps. Especial thanks are due to Mr. J. McCann, Mr. K. G. Farries, and Mr. J. R. Hayston for providing information or commenting on drafts, and to Thurrock Historical Society for providing a set of Panorama. Much assistance has also been received from Brentwood District Council, the Charity Commission, the Church Commissioners, Epping Forest District Council (Housing and Planning departments), Essex County Council (Education, Highways, and Planning departments), Grays Central Library, the Greater London Record Office, Harlow Development Corporation, Harlow District Council, Harlow Museum, and Thurrock Museum. As with previous volumes valuable services of many kinds have been rendered by the Essex Record Office. The Department of the Environment has continued to allow the use of its unpublished lists of buildings of architectural or historical interest.