A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10, Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1972.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In 1603 there were said to be 40 recusant Puritans (including Joseph Baynham) at Westbury. (fn. 1) There was a Quaker meeting in the parish by 1670, (fn. 2) and most of the 12 nonconformists recorded in 1676 presumably belonged to it. (fn. 3) The Quakers registered a meeting-house at Elton in 1690, (fn. 4) and acquired a burial ground there in 1724. (fn. 5)
Independents and Wesleyan Methodists were among groups who registered houses in the parish between 1810 and 1829. The Independents were meeting at a house in Northwood in 1816, (fn. 6) and in 1838 they built a chapel at Adsett; it had congregations of 80-160 in 1851. (fn. 7) From the later 19th century it was called a Congregational chapel. (fn. 8) By 1889 the Congregationalists also had a small mission chapel at Lower Ley, (fn. 9) and in 1893 they built a lecture hall in Westbury village; (fn. 10) both buildings remained in use in 1939 (fn. 11) but the mission chapel was later dismantled and removed to Northwood for use as a shop, and the lecture hall was a hairdresser's shop in 1969. (fn. 12) The chapel at Adsett, a Gothic stone building, was still used each Sunday in 1969 by a small congregation with a visiting minister. (fn. 13)
The Wesleyan Methodists built a small stone chapel at Stanley in Bollow in 1822; it had congregations of 80-140 in 1851. (fn. 14) By 1969 the congregation had died out and the chapel had been incorporated in a private house. Another Wesleyan chapel built at Broadoak before 1865 (fn. 15) remained in use until c. 1950, (fn. 16) but by 1969 had been partly dismantled.