A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10, Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1972.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
In the early 16th century the chantry-priest of Frampton taught the children, (fn. 1) and a tenement that had belonged to the chantry was still called the school-house in 1570. (fn. 2) Two schoolmasters living in Frampton in 1798 (fn. 3) presumably taught private schools: there were boarding schools in the village in 1819 (fn. 4) and until 1897. (fn. 5) No day-school, only a Sunday school with c. 50 children, was recorded in 1818, (fn. 6) but a day-school with as many children was established by 1825. (fn. 7) Including boarding schools, Frampton had eight day-schools in 1833, but they were all run at the parents' expense; they had a combined total of 103 children, compared with 175 children attending two Sunday schools, one C. of E. and the other, slightly larger, Independent. (fn. 8) A National school, with separate departments for boys and girls, was built in 1842 (fn. 9) and in 1847 had a combined daily attendance of 89. (fn. 10) In 1869 an evening class was also held there. (fn. 11) Attendance at the day-school remained at just under 100 until the 1930s; (fn. 12) in 1968, when the older children went to schools in Stroud and Quedgeley, the Frampton on Severn C. of E. Primary school had 134 children. The building of 1842 is single-storied and of brick; a new timber classroom was added in 1960. (fn. 13) The Independent Sunday school, started in 1816, developed into a British day-school apparently in 1849, when the schoolroom beside the Congregational church was opened. (fn. 14) The British school appears to have closed as a day-school in the seventies, (fn. 15) but the building remained in occasional use in 1968.