Haresfield: Charities

Page 197

A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10, Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1972.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.



Thomas Teakle by will dated 1675 gave a rent-charge of £5 to the poor; in the early 19th century the money was used to buy cloth and flannel for the poor. (fn. 1) At various times in the early 18th century Anne and Samuel Pulton each gave £40 to the poor, and Elizabeth Pulton gave £20; the sums were invested in 1773 and produced interest of £3 10s. 6d. distributed at Christmas. (fn. 2) The Revd. John Longford (d. c. 1760) (fn. 3) gave £50 for apprenticing poor children, also invested in 1773, and yielding £1 15s. a year. Elizabeth Niblett gave £20 to the poor in 1783, which yielded 18s. (fn. 4) In the late 1960s the income from the Teakle charity was distributed to old age pensioners at Christmas, and the income from the other charities, just over £5, was used for the general benefit of the poor. (fn. 5)


  • 1. 16th Rep. Com. Char. 69-70.
  • 2. Ibid. 68; see above, p. 193.
  • 3. See p. 192.
  • 4. 16th Rep. Com. Char. 69.
  • 5. Ex inf. Mr. L. R. Duirs, charity review organizer for Glos.