A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10, Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1972.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Until the mid 17th century 16 bushels of wheat were distributed to the poor out of the rectory estate, (fn. 1) on which they were said to have been charged by Sir Edmund Pounce. (fn. 2) No record of the charity has been found after the early 18th century. Between 1683 and 1698 (fn. 3) Samuel Yelfe gave £10 to provide coal for the poor, (fn. 4) and from 1730 (fn. 5) the capital sum was in the hands of the overseers of the poor; in 1793 the charity disappeared, and after a revival in 1822, whereby 10s. a year was distributed in coal, it was again lost in 1835. (fn. 6)
Henry Smith by deed of 1626 gave £100 to buy land for the benefit of the poor of Longney, and in 1641 the trustees bought 8 a. in Harescombe (fn. 7) which were exchanged at inclosure for 8 a. in Haresfield. The poor of the parish also received an annual sum paid out of Longney manor by Smith's trustees. (fn. 8) The two charities, with a combined yield of £28, were jointly distributed in cash and coal in 1818. From 1840 sheets, lengths of calico, and other textiles were added to the method of distribution, which ceased to include cash in 1863; from 1842 Mr. Smith's charity, the one founded in 1626 and worth c. £14, was distinguished from the Longney charity paid out of the manor and worth c. £16. (fn. 9) In 1968 the two charities were distributed together, c: £75 going in coal and cash to some 15 recipients. (fn. 10)