Moreton Valence: Charities

Page 215

A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10, Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1972.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.



A dole of bread out of Longney manor was replaced in the mid 17th century by a 20s. rent-charge which in 1683 was not paid. (fn. 1) It was apparently never paid thereafter; the original gift was later attributed to Sir Edmund Penne, lord of Longney manor. (fn. 2) In 1666 William Howe gave a 20s. rent-charge for poor householders not receiving parish relief; it was distributed in coal in 1683 and c. 1775. (fn. 3) In the early 19th century it was distributed in doles of 1s. and 1s. 6d., and despite a proposal that the distribution should be confined to 4 people (fn. 4) there were 16 recipients in 1836. (fn. 5) In 1967 Howe's charity was still distributed in cash. (fn. 6)


  • 1. G.D.R. Moreton Valence terriers, charitable gifts.
  • 2. Bodl. MS. Rawl. B.323, f. 153v.; Atkyns, Glos. 564; Rudder, Glos. 559. Penne has not been found recorded as lord of Longney manor, but cf. above, p. 205, n. 76.
  • 3. G.D.R. Moreton Valence terriers, charitable gifts; Rudder, Glos. 559.
  • 4. 16th Rep. Com. Char. 70.
  • 5. Par. rec., vestry min. bk. 1826-86.
  • 6. Ex inf. Mr. L. Sealey.