A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10, Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1972.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Samuel Badger, clothier, by will proved 1712 gave a rent-charge of 40s. for teaching poor children reading, writing, and the principles of religion. (fn. 1) A school had been started by 1720 which also received subscriptions. (fn. 2) In 1818 the rentcharge had not been applied for many years, (fn. 3) but in 1827 it was being used to employ a mistress who taught 8 children to read the Bible, say the catechism, and sew, (fn. 4) and in 1833 14 children were being taught. (fn. 5) A Sunday school had been started in the parish by 1818, (fn. 6) and in 1833, in addition to the charity school, there were two day schools, teaching a total of 42 children, and two Sunday schools. (fn. 7) The charity school was absorbed in a new day school which was established in 1842, apparently by the incumbent, David Jones; (fn. 8) in 1847 it was a National school and had 53 children. (fn. 9) A new school building, of stone in Gothic style, was built in Marsh Road in 1850. (fn. 10) In 1853 the school was managed by the incumbent who supplied the deficiency in income; there was an endowment of £20 a year and the children paid 2d. or 1d. depending on whether copy-books or slates were used. (fn. 11) The school had an average attendance of 113 in 1904, (fn. 12) but it had fallen to 78 by 1936 ; (fn. 13) the attendance was 117 in 1967. (fn. 14)