A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10, Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1972.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
There were three women recusants in Churcham parish in 1603, (fn. 1) and 12 nonconformists there in 1676. (fn. 2) Wesleyan Methodists registered a chapel at Birdwood in 1814, (fn. 3) and in 1851 it had a congregation of c. 70. (fn. 4) It remained in regular use in 1970. The chapel, which evidently dates from c. 1814, (fn. 5) is a brick building with stone quoins and has two tiers of round-headed windows with leaded lights; a small brick house for the minister, also with round-headed windows, adjoins it on the west. Unidentified dissenting groups registered a house in the parish in 1817 and at Over in 1835. (fn. 6)